1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with mental health

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by givenchy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. givenchy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have been struggling to cope recently and I am really stressed about school and my future (I finish my last year of school in a few months), I feel unwanted amongst both groups of friends that I have and I am still trying to fully accept myself and my sexuality and I have been feeling.. numb and empty on and off for maybe a year or so now. I know I should go and talk to a therapist or someone but I don't want my family to know/worry about me (bc they make it a much bigger deal than it ever needs to be). I had thought about going to see my school's councillor but I go to a very christian school and would feel uncomfortable talking about sexuality stuff with her/any staff at school.

What should I do??:weary:

2. Whiteguy12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why are you so worried about other people? They are not sitting around worried about you. Friends are not friends if they are not going to support you. See the counselor because they are there to help you. If not, you can go see a therapist. You can choose two ways: you can be honest and tell your family, or you can lie and say you need to see a therapist because your school counselor is not helping. You could say it’s stress if you are not ready to tell the full truth. If you have money to see a therapist, then you don’t have to tell your family at all. You are allowed to keep things to yourself. Accepting yourself is hard but once you do, you are going to love yourself and you won’t care what other people think. You live for yourself, not for others.

3. Santana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oooh, I was terribly stressed about the future when graduating from high school... I still haven't achieved anything, btw, so I guess I was right to be worried :sweat_smile: But I kind of learned to let it go. It's so much better especially when there are way more important things to worry about.

On the rest of the subject, I'm gonna completely disagree with the Whiteguy. Don't go to the therapist. Not knowing and liking you, they're detached anyway. And I really hate someone trying to psychoanalyze me, when the person has yet to gain my trust. And I don't really trust anyone. If I'd be in your situation, I'd find a mentor-friend kind of person. Most likely someone a bit older than you, somebody you like and respect. Of course, don't pour out all your troubles at the first time you really talk but just... try them out(?) with some lighter subjects and if the reaction is what you'd hoped for, then go further.

Actually, I've done that. In high school that was my maths teacher, she helped me pull myself together a few times, and later I befriended the mentor university signed for my year. I've since dropped out of the university but still talk to her, she's helped me a lot, and she's the one I go to with any kind of troubles now.

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to my school counselor and had a horrible experience. They wanted to force me to be straight. It kept me from seeking help again for a long time. When I finally did go to a therapist in the real world it was a much better experience. Therapy helped me see myself as others see me and I realized I wasn’t giving people a reason to like me. That didn’t sole my problem but it did help me feel better.