1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on telling your family that you're trans.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Keelin, May 24, 2011.

1. Keelin

I just recently became trans. Well actually it was more of a realization. I am tired of living in the shadows from my parents. Can I have some help coming out? If I keep living like this I'll crack. Transponders have the highest rate of drug and alcohol abuse, depression, and suicide than any other group on this cite. :wink: Thanks!

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

First of all, welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

That's awesome that you are finally realizing your gender identity! It is a tough struggle and coming out to yourself is the first step :slight_smile:

Since you have just recently realized your true gender identity I would suggest that you concentrate on yourself for a little longer before you start coming out to your parents.

Stick around, read some stories and get to talk to some other trans members on the site. It might help you clear any other confusions that you still might have about the whole topic or any other misconceptions.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

You don't say how old you are. Unfortunately, until you're an adult you DO live in the shadows of your parents. And when you do come out to them, this is going to be a big adjustment for them. It has taken you a while to come to terms with it, so expect them to have a hard time with it too.

As 'TheEnded' has already suggested, take some time now to get used to the idea yourself that you're trans. Read up on it. Get familiar with the challenges that it often poses. Continue to share here how you're feeling and how you're coping with it.

The better you feel about this and the more positive and comfortable you are with the issue, the easier it will be for you to talk to your parents when that time comes.