1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me please! I need to come out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gaylor, Oct 19, 2017.

1. gaylor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am gay and I need to tell my mom. She is truly the only person that I feel needs to be told for me to start living my life fully. About 8 years ago in the car, she asked me "are you a lesbian? because its okay if you are" because I had never talked about boys in the way that you would expect a young teenage girl to. I quickly said no because at the time I didn't think I was. A few years ago, I lightheartedly brought it up like "oh remember when you thought I was gay?!" and she told me that she didn't think that anymore. Fast forward almost a decade and oh how the tables have turned; I still have never talked about boys or had a boyfriend, and I don't ever plan on it.

So I basically need to let my mom know, and even though I assume she will be fine with it, it has been so long I am nervous. What do you guys think? Do you think she will take it well? I guess I am in an ideal situation but i can't help but want to hurl from the nerves.

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mom said it's okay if you are lesbian, so I think you can trust that she will accept you. She may also be confused as to why you are nervous about it and avoided telling her until now. Some parents have an intuitive sense about a gay child, and it seems like your mom understood you better than you did (which is totally normal, by the way). Just have an honest conversation with her.

You'll be fine. Be free!

3. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it sounds like she is going to be accepting, which is great! It’s natural to be nervous as it is a big step to let people close to you know. You sound like you are in a safe situation though, so you will probably feel a lot better when you are out to her.

As for whether your mum suspects or not, it’s impossible to tell. Similar to you, I was also asked by my Mum if I was a lesbian years before I came out. Before I told her, I thought she suspected/knew and was totally not prepared for the very surprised reaction I got. She is supportive though, so just remember that the immediate reaction may not be a true reflection of what someone thinks.

Just have a chat about it as far as you are comfortable. Remember it is totally ok to say it’s making you uncomfortable if you feel she’s getting a bit personal if she asks you any questions.

Good luck