1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I'm socially awkward

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Max M, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Max M

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've identified as a lesbian (or at least someone who is attracted to women) for about two years now, and have come out to my best friends, a few of my peers at school, and one of my 8th grade teachers. But I haven't come out to a single member of my family, or any direct friends of my family. I wouldn't have such a hard time with coming out to them if it wasn't for such a stupid reason: I don't know how or exactly when to tell them I'm gay. I'm mostly sure that they are okay with most LGBT+ topics, but I'm having trouble with figuring out exactly how to tell them that the reason why I get really defensive when people discriminate people for being gay, or really interested in LGBT+ characters in shows/movies isn't because I'm a really supportive ally, but because I'm part of the group in question.

I have trouble talking about my personal life with my parents, and I'm really bad at trying to coordinate my part of the conversation without being awkward. The worst part about it is that whenever I'm given the opportunity to come out to my parents, like when I'm given the perfect chance to tell a gay joke that usually refers to myself (it hurts when the perfect pun or joke comes to mind but then you lose all your courage because it's gay, so you bite your tongue and the moment passes). I'm also worried that my family will see and treat me differently if I come out to them. And not even the possibility of them thinking less of me, it's them acting like I'm a whole different person and be really awkward around me and ughhhhhh it sucks. I mean, my parents recently took me to a Pride Festival, and they were pretty chill about it (except for the fact that both my parents hate outdoor festivals in general and are huge introverts).

Anyway
    , what I'm trying to say is, I'm a (kind of) closeted lesbian in socially awkward distress please help.