1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having second thoughts on name change, advice welcome

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bernice, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bernice or Caitlin

I really should have been writing in the small victories thread today but I'm not.
    I'm exploring my identity and currently consider my self genderfluid. As part of trying to find myself I recently employed a solicitor for a name change. It was simply to add a middle name but it was a step on the way of finding myself.

As of today I'm now Adrian Bernice Ellis. The name Bernice is one I've liked for years. A character in the novel (based partly on myself) is named Bernice and the name itself comes from a fictional character that I like. I recently had an article and photos published in Transliving under that name and although there is something a little old fashioned about it I feel attached to the name.
    However just before the solicitors contacted me that the paperwork was ready for me to sign I began to have second thoughts. Not about adding a middle name but the name itself. For some reason the name Caitlin appealed to me. Adrian Caitlin Ellis. I don't know why it suddenly started appealing. I like the writer Caitlin Moran I suppose but mainly I just liked the sound of the name. Now I'm wondering if I've made a mistake.

It's basically to late now although I suppose I can change it at a later date, maybe it's something that will disappear in a couple of weeks. I'm also aware that I know who people would most likely think of if I used the name Caitlin.
    I'm just wondering what others think? Does Caitlin sound better then Bernice? Is it because I've took a step forward and just worried I've made a mistake?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I recall, you’ve had Bernice for quite some time. It’s possible that it’s one of those names that you really like in the moment, but will gradually lose interest in.

If the name change is already done and completed, I’d do the same thing as if you were trying out a new name. Have a couple friends call you Caitlin, and see how you like it. Like you say, you can always add it in or change it in the future.

Bernice likes this.