1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have You Ever Said Anything Homophobic/Biphobic/Transphobic/etc?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayPugs, Sep 15, 2016.

1. GayPugs

When I was younger I told my friend, who was bisexual at the time, that bisexuals are desperate. :icon_sad: Later I apologized...multiple times...and now I'm a transgender bisexual panromantic man. :roflmao: It just goes to show, anyone can be ignorant, anyone can make mistakes, and anyone can be educated! :thumbsup:

Has anyone else ever said something ignorant?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to believe the following:
    - I wouldn't date a bisexual woman because I was insecure having her like men. There was also the fact that I wanted to feel like I could lose my virginity to a woman and felt bi women wouldn't validate me. I was wrong on this when I saw great, accepting bisexuals, and ignorant, asshole lesbians, so this one was my most shameful one.

- I thought non-binary people didn't exist and it was all Tumblr nonsense. I felt this way because I thought people were confusing gender identity with gender roles, and found this to be extremely offensive as a masculine woman who hates being forced into gender roles. Later I realized that it didn't have much to do with gender stereotypes but dysphoria and other feelings. I have sense apologized.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I'm aware of. =]

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The ones I still believe today:

- If we took somebody that had cancer and somebody who was trans, and had to decide who to give treatment to, and we could only give to one, then I would choose the person with cancer. As whilst somebody whose trans can have dysphoria that is painful, they won't actually die without the operation, whereas somebody with cancer will without treatment. [Note we have the tax-funded NHS in the UK so that's what I'm on about.]

- I do not think that pro-LGBT [this includes cis-het] people should get married in anti-LGBT churches as when you get married [anywhere] you pay a lot of money, and giving a lot of money to anti-LGBT churches will keep that church open for longer and continue their hatred. I know the arguments of "equality" and "those churches do not have much power anymore" and in the grand scheme of things, yes, but by shutting those anti-LGBT churches down we might be able to save a few lives [of those LGBT people who would have otherwise been forced to be in that Church and might have been killed by those anti-LGBT religious people]. It also means that for other countries that are highly anti-LGBT will have one less supporter. If getting married in a church is important, go to a pro-LGBT church that can help your cause in a religious way as they would have read the bible so know how to use the bible against anti-LGBT religious people.

I'm not sure how anti- these are since they ultimately have good intentions, but it's not exactly giving the person what they want. I have been given no reason that I would change my views on these, so I won't.

The ones I thought before but don't now:

- Gender doesn't exist at all, and therefore transgender doesn't exist.

- I called someone ''gay'' once when I had no idea what their sexuality is.

#4 Secrets5, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm 40. Things were different in the 80's. It's taken a long time for me to transition to becoming an ally, and I'm still learning.

I remember the first time I saw two dudes kissing. I was shocked. I was maybe ten years old, and I had never before even conceived the idea of two men loving each other.

Homophobia was rampant. Any time a dude did something that wasn't 100% masculine, somebody would call him a "fag". This was pretty much an all-day every-day thing. Anything that was kinda shitty was referred to as "gay".

This is the environment I grew up in. Yes, I've said MANY things that were very homophobic. It's taken me a long time to come to the place I am now where I realize that not only is there nothing wrong with homosexuality, but also it's perfectly fucking normal.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't edit mine now but I just realized I put ''was trans'' in past tense, sorry, ''is trans''.

7. nbd

nbd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have, growing up in the 90s when "gay" was the adjectival epithet of choice, and I'm very ashamed of it. I even had a friend come out to me as bi, and while I was supportive I said that I needed to digest it and that we could talk about it later. Then I was too chicken sh*t to bring it back up. I'm quite ashamed of that.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was sort of raised to be a homophobic little brat when I was younger, I just did whatever the family told me to do without question. When I started thinking for myself I gradually adjusted and realized just how flawed and archaic the mindset was.

Later, I realized I was about as straight as the sparks from a tesla coil. So there's that.

9. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and I didn't know what I was doing and in retrospect it was kinda dumb

10. pathrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    before I came out I was in denial and one of my friends, who had come out, asked me if I was gay (I was so deep in the closet I found Narnia), I laughed and made a statement that I immediately apologized for.

To this day, I feel guilt about that, but I just use it to not make other statements like it.

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

11. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to believe that LGBT individuals were going to hell. I refused to patronize any business that employed LGBT individuals and actually crossed the street of my town to avoid a transgender woman. Then I got unfettered access to the internet and learned that LGBT people were people too and, hey, I'm queer. I will always be filled with guilt for all of the crap I used to say in highschool and for actively seeking to prevent marriage equality. Just goes to show what happens in a radical home.

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm I can't recall SAYING anything phobic towards LGBT people, but my sister and father are Republican (especially my sister... she is crazy conservative) and were pro-traditional marriage. I think my dad still might be after I came out to him (not sure... his reasons were more financial than homophobic), but I know my sister hasn't changed her mind.

So basically when I was younger, I was pro-traditional marriage because that was the popular family view. Then as I got older I asked my dad questions about it and later changed my mind. Luckily this all happened before I could vote.

Also my sister has said some pretty homophobic stuff and bordering on racist things, and I grew up listening to her saying it all. I feel bad for mostly nodding and agreeing since I didn't know any better.

Also, grew up believing (since I'm a Christian) that LGBT were going to hell and it was a choice. Ha! Good thing I've learned a thing or two.

However, I don't recall saying anything cruel to an LGBT person, especially upon meeting some. Then I became more open-minded and discovered my own sexuality.

13. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    When Jackson told me he was Bi, I said "you can't like both guys and girls." Not my best moment

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did when I was 13. This was right before I knew about my sexuality. I mostly did it because I thought I was supposed to feel that way, since my family is conservative. But, I truly did not feel that way. Even when I thought I was straight, I never truly thought the LGBT community was wrong for how they felt. I truly sympathized with them and loved them like anyone else. And now, here I am. :slight_smile:

15. Rainsworth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was the situation regarding homosexuality in the west during 80s, just imagine it's still the same thing in different part of the world, till this day. it really sucks cause even developed, luxurious and safe countries like the United Arab Emirates -aka Dubai- are pretty fucking homophobic/transphobic.
    so it's not an argument about a country being good or bad, there are some countries in this world that are great places to live in, but are still semi-bad places to live for homosexuals. and i said semi since you can hide who you are and you'd live a great life like your other heterosexual peers.

16. GayPugs

Very glad I live in America right now... :confused:

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said something like "How can someone think they're another gender!?" Unfortunately, I continued to be quite transphobic until I was 17

18. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    A couple of us have commented on how bad it is to be LGBT+ in other countries right now, and that is true. Of course it's also true that LGBT+ people are still being murdered in America, simply because they're being who they are. These are difficult times we're living in.

One of the things that I struggle with, as I try my best to be an ally, is to shut people down when they use the word "gay" in the pejorative. I live in Seattle, the most liberal city in America, and I hear it more often than you'd think.

EDIT: I should clarify, it's not really a struggle, but more that I feel guilty when I don't say something when someone says "gay" in the pejorative.

#18 filmmakingally, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  19. wolflover

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I grew up in a Christian home and thought that LGBTQ people were going to Hell and that it was their choice. Little did I know that I'd be part of the community haha

20. Rainsworth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, Dubai is one of the best places a person can live in. and this is coming from a person who went there once. just because it's discriminate against a big part of who i am, i'm not going to get biased.
    The streets are clean, buildings are fancy, high paying-jobs, the people are extremely wealthy and poverty is low, women are treated good, have their rights and are allowed to wear what they want. it's not what a lot of westerns think of an "middle eastern" country, and actually there's a lot of rich american/european businessmen living/working there. although it's true that 95% of middle eastern countries are indeed, shitholes.

since the people and their culture is extremely conservative, they still live by and apply sharia law. so no matter how developed that country is, i don't see them abandoning their ideologies anytime soon, if at all.