1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever felt suicidal because if being gay?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JToivonen, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been talking about my current process of coming out on (on? In? At?) other threads, but I'd like to ask you this quick question?

Have you ever felt suicidal?

Did you, while in the process of coming out, wished to end your life somehow?

Did you feel the guilty and pressure was just to much to take?

I'm feeling suicidal right now, that's why I'm asking. I'm riding an emotional rollercoaster...a lot of guilty, a lot of information, mixed feelings, anger, frustration, pressure...I don't know how much longer I'll be able to handle this.

I feel like I'm a burden to everyone around me. I'm a huge burden even to myself.

#1 JToivonen, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Ravenstar likes this.
  2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, coming to terms with being too different to hide in the crowd is hard. I had a pretty bumpy ride coming out as transgender and then as lesbian. Eventually I made peace with my identity and the consequences of how I am treated because of it. It did slowly start to get better, but I had to fight for that. Living is worth it. That time is precious. Don't let other people's opinions cause you to devalue your own time on this earth.

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suicidal thoughts are interesting and are really an "indicator" that something is wrong. So your task at hand is to "identify" what is wrong. So how do I identify what is wrong? Well you've got to get your thinking on another road other than I'm going to end my life. I got my thinking on a different road by a) getting lots of rest. b) drink lots of water. c) eating right, no junk food. d) got lots of good exercise - Plan A. So what does this do? This feeds more blood and oxygen to the brain which should help get you on a different road.

OK so this can be hard, yes indeed. OK Plan B. Go do something you absolute love to do. Just go do it. Again this puts your thinking on a different road. But slowly integrate Plan A above and work at Plan A until it becomes routine.

Yes many of us here on ECs have been suicidal including me. When I write the above, it's because I've been to the brink. This is not stuff I've read and am passing it on. I feel your pain.

Later man

JToivonen, Nic2552 and alwaysforever like this.
  4. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been very fortunate in that even in my lowest moments (none of which actually involved being gay, closeted or coming out), I've never reached that point. I did begin to realize once I started coming out that I was feeling overwhelmed by change, and was starting to spiral into increasing panic and anxiety. My coming out ended up being much quicker than I had planned--I was outed by a neighbor and things basically got out of control. I asked my doctor for a low dose of antidepressants to get me over the rough patches, and they were a great help.

Please talk to a professional--they are trained to help you recognize those spirals and talk yourself through them. You would be surprised at how much simpler things may seem with just the tiniest bit of help. I think I only took mine for maybe 5 months and then realized I could handle the rest of the journey without them.

The upside is that once you get through the worst of it, you will have one more addition to the list of "if I got through that, I can get through anything", which is a great confidence booster!

JToivonen and Nic2552 like this.
  5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *raises hand*

I'm so glad I never acted on those thoughts. My coming out was emotional but ultimately smooth in the end and I think my relationships with people were strengthened when I was able to be my full authentic self. Plus I met so many wonderful friends and a boyfriend.

#5 SemiCharmedLife, Jun 12, 2019
  6. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not qualified to give advice on this topic so I would urge you to seek professional help. I can however assure you that you will come out of this better but you need to take positive steps like counseling. A gay lifestyle is worth living for even if the path to it requires climbing some boulders.
    We are in your corner.

7. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but that was back when I was still trying to understand myself , I didn’t have anyone to talk to , social media wasn’t where it’s at now, I felt alone , angry , confused , empty inside , something was missing , I felt different than my friends At the time.. even though I was pretending to be the straight girl into men.. As time went on .. my depression got worst because I got older and started to understanding myself and I became more alone , I felt like I was different , like I was letting my family down , like a weirdo .. outcast, I even tried to get into religion because I realized I was gay so I hid myself until I couldn’t take it anymore . But the key is accepting yourself now matter what! Love yourself ... the more I started loving myself and stop giving a crap .. the more I became happier and Guess what people started attracting to me. My family accepts me .. you have to find your family whether it’s your local lgbtq group .. We are your family so don’t forget that !! LGBTQ is beautiful.. the more You accept it .. You will live proud and happy !! And no one can tell you nothing..
    Remove the toxic people that are making you feel it’s wrong.. surround yourself with people who love you.. travel and find yourself .. that’s what I did at least .. like lgbtq bars , events , .. etc it will make you happy

#7 Nic2552, Jun 12, 2019
    JToivonen likes this.
  8. Kmermaid00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I have for a few years off and on. From 2014-2017. It was mostly due to me being LGBT, health issues, and being in an abusive relationship. You need to go to call the crisis line to get help. You can text START to 741-741
    Also you can call the crisis line
    1 800-273-8255

9. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I have. I had thoughts about walking out under a car. I also didn't care if woke up the next day or not.

JToivonen likes this.
  10. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot to say learn to meditate. Learning means take a class. What does mediation do? For me it slowed my brain down which was "racing" with all kinds of thoughts.

Nic2552 and JToivonen like this.
  11. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the replies and support. I tried to slow down a bit, as some of you have told me. Now I'm feeling a bit better. But as I always say, life's being an emotional rollercoaster, sometimes I feel sad, than angry, then all of the sudden a bit happy, then devastated. It happens also for me just feel like crying, or lay down and do nothing. Or vanish out of existence. Sometimes I don't even know or understand what I feel (like now). Most of the time I feel numb, though.

#11 JToivonen, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go and take an HOUR LONG walk now. Go and clear your head.

#12 brainwashed, Jun 13, 2019
    JToivonen likes this.
  13. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! I really appreciate your empathy. I've always exercised, it's a hobby of mine, but lately it's been hard because I feel weak and tired, both phisically and mentally. I feel like my soul is broken and it affects my body.

I'll try meditation, I've never done that. It might help me.

14. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could do it now, but I'm at work...life gets on the way waaaaay too much...

But tonight I'll hit the gym. I also expect to meet my best friend there too. I just came out to him two days ago and he was incredibly supportive! Just yesterday he texted me saying he was on my side, no matter what, and that he'd always be my friend (when I came out to him, I told him I'd understand if he didn't want to be my friend anymore, but he stood by me). He finished saying that he loved me and was proud of me for having the guts to go through all this. That was incredibly helpful!

15. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm already seeing two - a psychologist and a psychiatrist, the latter prescribed some pills to fight anxiety. This weekend I have an appointment with a third. She seems to have some sort of treatment to redirect sexual orientation, but she says it's not "gay cure". I'm a bit nervous, I must say.

16. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My issue isn't really with accepting myself...but it's that I'm in a straight marriage, so I'm really nervous about destroying everything. I feel an unbearable pressure to make things work.

17. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I wish I had never exist.This world is full of angry adults that hate other human beings.They are sexist,racist and homophobes.I feel like I am living in hell.

JToivonen likes this.
  18. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to hear that. But even though I sometimes feel like dying, I found here on EC a community filled with love and people genuinely wanting to help others - strangers they never met and probably never will. No cost, no strings attached. So I hope things will get better for you just as much as I hope things will get better for me too.

How are you coping with that?

#18 JToivonen, Jun 13, 2019
  19. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never that bad for me, but I definitely experience being low when I retreat into the denial.

@JToivonen, you need to know that your participation here on empty closets is important. You have perspective and insights that are helpful to the rest of us. You are an important member of this community.

20. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried to kill myself my senior year in high school. I took pills. Luckily my Mother turned around on her way to work that day and came home for no other reason than that she felt strongly that she needed to. She arrived home in time to find me and have my stomach pumped. I can't believe I could have missed all this. I've had a wonderful life that almost just didn't happen...