1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever ditched school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just wondering if you ever have. If you have, what grade were you in, would you ditch the whole day or leave later in the day? And how many times have you done it?

2. Nikky DoUrden

Maybe a weird answer but i'd ditch school in favour of college/university. school was boring and waste of time, "they" even failed to teach me how to communicate with other people and i came to be this socially awkward guy that i am :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Countless times... it's why I repeated Algebra! In fact, I mad it a goal to get as bad a grade as possible, going back to family drama.

4. killswitch0029

The first college I went to had a policy where you could have 6 unexcused absences without failing the class. I took total advantage of that

5. Ryler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember when my friend and I ditched Sunday school at our church to go play at this construction area with a huge mountain of dirt when I was 12 or so. The funny thing is, this construction area was near the church, so one of the teachers saw us and took us in. The church called our parents, but my mom didn't seem to care lol. That was probably the only time I've ditched school after being there. As for college, there are numerous times when I just didn't go to class cause I was too tired. Definitely not a good idea since we pay for our college education. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a serial wagger in year 12 so I could manage my assessment. I was strategic about when to skip classes and often would skip my favourite classes (French and Spanish) to work on my harder classes (philosophy, history). It got me decent enough grades, so I guess that worked out for me - though I was creative in getting admin to ignore the implausibility of my excuses (a car breakdown when I only ever cycled or took a bus, six visits to the dentist in the space of six weeks). For the most part, I wasn't a truant and I was very open about what I did with that time so as to not lose my teachers' goodwill.

As for lectures at uni, I'm absolutely one to watch 23 hours of lectures online in one go. I just don't find passive, ongoing fora like lectures good at absorbing knowledge - I have to cram it all in within a week or I won't synthesise the material in preparation for lectures.

7. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, my parents would behead me.

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't "ditched" but i've played hookey a few times to get out of going to school back in high school. As for college, I haven't yet but there have multiple times where I slept straight past my alarm and didn't bother getting makeup work.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so when I was younger I was a genius at playing sick so i was able to miss quite a few days in my elementary years. Then when I got to high school I only ditched twice and it was the last hour of the day but the teacher never took attendance and I didn't do much in that class.

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not in high school, but when I first got to college I was pretty bad, and my grades reflected that.

Now I'm back in college and take it seriously. The only time I miss now is my statistics class which is three days a week for an hour. It's not hard to get my notes covered by my friend. I don't miss unless I have a good reason now.

11. neonliv

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    only a few times when i was going through a really tough time. id tell my parents i had diarrhea (they never ask any questions) and then when they left the house id go downtown and walk around. nothing too exciting and i don't do it that often or else theyd get suspicious

12. guitar

Yes I have, elementary and highschool. And if my parents are reading this, I'm sorry lol

13. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did it a few times in elementary school and high school.

I'd mostly just go back home for dinner, and never go back. In elementary school, I did it more because I was bored (and I didn't do it often), but in high school, gee, sometimes I really needed to.

When I'd get sick, they always did their best to convince me to finish the day, even if I could barely concentrate on anything. Instead of asking, I learned to just go back home and then I'd explain when they'd call. In the later years, I actually came back because of how much they mistreated me. I could not take all the prejudice they had against me by refusing to use my name and pronouns, despite it being totally legal. I'd go home, shut the door and feel miserable, basically.

Oh, and I could pull this off because my mom works at night, so she sleeps in the day. This means that I had no one to answer to about it. I went to school by bike, so I'd just ride it back.

In Cegep and University though, never. It's not a good idea, and every time I HAD to miss school, it was a pain to revise the things that were said.

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In K-12, no. College? Depends on the class. I've skipped Math when it was stuff I previously had known or when it was a review/help day. That and I sometimes skip accounting and/or marketing classes now because they are archived and I don't learn anything in accounting anyways.

15. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I skipped out on class and school all the time in high school and for my first 3 semesters of university. I started skipping in grade 10. In grade 11, I started skipping half-days. In 12th grade, I had a few teachers that I had convinced that I was 18 and could sign myself out of school for health issues, but in reality I just ditched. University I actually paid for it because after my third semester I ended up with an academic suspension.

I honestly have no idea how many times I skipped. I remember looking at my report card in 10th grade and for English, out of 81 days, I had 38 absences though.

16. Linkmaste

Elementary, high schop and college. I do not give a flying truck. My grades were still okay and no one noticed.

17. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never before high school, once or twice in high school then an entire semester in college.

18. Boatman

:icon_sad:Nope, but then again I was at boarding school

19. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ditched Sports Day in June. I had my parents' support so I just stayed at home, studying proper subjects and watching the news. I think it was a much better use of my time than stupid sport.

20. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Once, in college. I took off afternoon class to beat a particular level in a game. I'd been playing the level for a few days. That particular day I'd played it through my lunch break, and I kept getting killed, so I had to do it over and over again. It was giving me absolute fits, so I called in sick.

In my defense, I only did that once, I was a straight A student and I was ahead on my work in the class in question, so I didn't miss anything. :grin:

#20 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016