1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you done electrolysis without HRT?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MStream, May 22, 2023.

1. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Is there anyone else here who has been doing electrolysis consistently for multiple years and who still has not reached the maintenance phase?

I'm bi-gender, transfemme, and not especially young. Although I've been on low dose HRT for some time now, I don't take a large enough dose to make a significant impact on facial hair, so I've been getting electrolysis since early in my transition. I have done some laser as well, but being not especially young, I have a significant amount of white hair that the laser treatments can't touch.

I have been having weekly appointments for six years. As of a couple of years ago, I increased them from an hour a session to 1.5-2 hours per session, and I've had a number of long sessions with two electrologists. My facial hair is greatly reduced, but there's still enough of it to be a problem. I have been doing electrolysis for six years. I'm lucky I'm even able to pay for it, but it is driving me a little insane, trying to figure out when I'll finally get to the point where it's just maintenance, touching up my face a bit here and there, but where I can roll out of bed and confidently go to the girl side of my closet without feeling I need to both shave and use foundation (and everything that goes with that).

I'm just trying to get a sense of how out of the ordinary my situation is. I believe that the great majority of other transfeminine people I know are either young enough (and with a suitable hair/skin color situation) to be able to do laser instead of electrolysis and/or are on full feminizing HRT and therefore have a much shorter process. I haven't spoken to anyone else who has been doing electrolysis for as long and as amply as I have.

Thank you!