1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fadedstar, Dec 16, 2017.

1. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I was out shopping for clothes once and another customer (a woman) came up to me and started asking me for assistance thinking I worked in the store we were both in at the time. When I didn't immediately respond she became almost angry and impatient. After I had finished explaining to her that I didn't actually work there she apologised, she was obviously a bit embarrassed and we both kind of laughed it off..

#1 fadedstar, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That use to happen to my mom all the time. She had a professional outfit from her job. She'd go to stores after work, before coming home, and people would also think she was an employee at whatever store she went to lol.
    Her current job has casual attire, so it doesn't happen anymore.

3. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It happened to me once. But luckily I was in the shoe section, so when someone asked me to get them a pair of shoes I just said that I didn't work there.

4. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We wear casual clothes at my job, so people who don't shop there regularly often don't realize I work there until I ask them if they need anything.

5. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I don’t know if this counts, but I get mistaken for a student all the time. I teach at a high school, and I look kind of young...I’m 27, but I often get campus security yelling at me to go back to class because they mistake me for a student. On the first day of school, some of my own students thought I was a senior TA, and they kept asking “where’s the teacher though?” haha. It’s a gift and a curse because I get to look younger, but my students know I’m young so they try to be my friends (until I gently remind them that I’m their teacher, and not their friend lol).

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once wore a blue shirt into Sears on Black Friday and I had three people come ask me where things were. I sent them to some random parts of the store,

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few times people have been wearing the right colours to work at the store and I've asked them where things were - whoops. I don't think people have thought I've been an employee when I'm not though.

8. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This happened to my brother recently. He went out with my parents to help my dad find a new suit. He's been doing debate and speech stuff since highschool so he actually knows how a suit should fit and what is actually in style now, something neither my dad nor I know anything about (which I find halarious since stereotypically it should be me, the queer son, who knows that stuff, but I really don't). Anyway, he was dressed up because he had a wedding later that day, and the customers kept thinking he worked there. The funny part was he's to nice to just tell them no, so he ended up helping them anyway, and the real employees just let him do it.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope but I've been asked if I'm looking for my parents

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think so. It's not too dissimilar to how some classmates have looked to me for direction instead of the teacher. I've been told I have that "way" about me.

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the best ways to avoid doing this to people, are to first check for a name tag and if you can't find one then ask if they work there.

12. Loves books

I get asked for ID to buy a lottery ticket. I'm 25 and thank god everyday I don't drink because I'd never get my hands on it and the legal age in my country is 18.

13. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in the military area and I tend to wear combat trousers pretty often. when there was an open day in the near airbase, I went there with some people I like and took my work ID with myself, just for lolz. there were guest people from the whole country and they apparently thought I was a soldier working there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    which was making me quite happy. being a soldier is my dream of life that sadly will never be fulfilled. :frowning2:

#13 Mahidevran, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. Closest I've had are people jokingly asking if I'm going to war or if I'm playing soldier XD Granted the military in my country doesn't use my camo colors as far as I know

Why did you want to join the military?

15. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    sounds quite funny :grin: I wonder what would people in my country say if you were here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm not sure if I can find the right words to explain why I wanted to join the army, but it's always been a dream for me. I'm used to the discipline and strong enough to deal with difficulties, and for some reason my dream of life was joining signal corps - which I cannot do due to my hearing loss.

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess you have some soldier mindset. Since this is your dream, you've probably already considered all possibilities such as other jobs in the military... sooooo you must join the army in the distant future when you're literally a cyborg or machine soldier! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. I wear casual clothes at my job so people don't realize I work there half the time XD

18. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ah. I always thought of myself as an android soldier, so yes, there must be it :grin: and that it is just like you say. I have done it indeed, my dream of first choice was joining the signal corps, but it's something I cannot really do since I'm partially deaf. ._. but I've been carrying the fascination with everything military since I remember and I'm not afraid of discipline.

19. Fyrefox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wore dress clothes for work, and when I'd duck into a K-Mart over lunch break would commonly be asked by other customers where something was. I'd sometimes have to repeat twice that I didn't work there before they understood...