1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone deleted there Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ok455, May 12, 2016.

1. ok455

its been a discussion amongst friends and co workers about spending too much time on Facebook and other social media. So i found an app that wipes out your page (Deletes friends and posts etc) and then i made up a long password and used it to set my account to get deleted. In a few months i'm set to go for my certification test to become a certified Medical Coder. I want to focus on that a lot more (studying and practicing)

Has anyone deleted or limit their time on social media and how did it work? Just between general facebook drama and spending too much time on there. I am going to be on top of my self to stay away from addicting pages and focus on studies.

#1 ok455, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I deleted my social media accounts four years ago. Occasionally considered getting new ones, but quickly remembered why I deleted them in the first place so resolved not to.

It's been good, yeah. All the people who were my "friends" had no trouble forgetting me and I moved on. It actually works out for me now since coming out as trans will now be a whole lot easier with less people to tell. Less drama, fewer distractions... Kind of forces me to live in the real world (or here at EC, ha).

But there certainly is value in it for some people, I'm not discounting that. Social media like Facebook simply doesn't work for me personally.

#2 Kodo, May 12, 2016
  3. Formality

I don't think I'll delete mine any time soon. I mean a lot of the stuff on facebook is just funny videos and crap like that. I do like fb to keep in touch with people I meet and old friends and I also like seeing what people I know are up to. I only log in once a day or so, unless I'm talking to someone on there. Facebook is the only social media I have though, along with EC. So it hasn't consumed my life, like it does to some

#3 Formality, May 12, 2016
  4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've considered it previously, but I'm never on that much anyway, and when I am on, I'm just looking at what other people are doing. And it's a nice, quick way to get a hold of someone, that's basically all I use it for, the last thing I posted or shared was probably almost 6+ months ago.

5. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only have friends or family on FB that are friends or family IRL and I regularly clear out old colleagues or acquaintance's that I don't connect with anymore. I wouldn't delete my profile because it's a good tool to communicate but I did delete the apps from my phone and tablet, as well as removing it from my browser favourites etc.
    Now I'm less likely to check it for no reason but I know where it is if I can be bothered putting the effort in.

#5 Calf, May 12, 2016
  6. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hardly visit facebook. My theory is, if somebody really wants to be a part of your life, no amount of check ins or photo tags will make a difference to them. I have a close set of friends and my family who I am in touch through phone. Thats enough.

My next target is WATSAPP. I may delete my watsapp account as well.

7. Rainbows~Exist

I only keep my Facebook to post the occasion status and keep current with my friends and family. I tend to avoid it for the most part since it has devolved into unfunny videos and shitty memes

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm close to deleting my Facebook because I'm over seeing drama so much, and I can see why my relatives did this a long time ago.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know how to delete it, I simply abandoned it about five years ago and since then I've forgotten the password entirely. There were plenty of reasons, homophobia, immaturity, and religious pressure being the main reasons. I do with I could go back and delete it now though, those old pictures of how I looked trying to blend in with the hyper-conservatives... I could have passed as Kim Davis's twin. Yikes.

10. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everytime I deleted my Facebook before, people would complain that now there was no way to talk to me (hello? You have my phone number) so I ended up getting it back both times. However, I never actually go on it or do anything there and I only have the messenger app installed on my phone.

11. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk I considered deleting one of mine but I mostly use it for pictures I don't really talk to anyone on there

12. CameOutSwinging

I deactivated (slightly different, as you can always reactivate it and have lost nothing) four years ago after a bad breakup, but it only lasted a day when I discovered my Spotify wouldn't work without me having a Facebook. Doh!

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just sort of stopped using it a couple years ago. Then my Mother-in-Law discovered FB and she's adorable about it, then we went to Paris and I posted some pics and everyone was so excited that I guess I'm back...

14. Embi

Embi Guest

I only shortly had Facebook somewhere between 12 and 14 but I didn't need it because I got What'sApp soon and I couldn't stand it. Sometimes I wanted to get it again because it makes things easier sometimes but I know I'd spend so much time there and I am okay with What'sApp, Snapchat and Instagram so far. Who knows if I'll get it again.

15. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just go on to check with a class I'm in what we're doing for homework and cake rota, so I'm usually on for about 10 minutes once or twice a week.

It's not really me purposefully limiting my time, more about me not actually having anything else to do on there.

16. Athame

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I get on Facebook to see what people are up to and to look at pictures of my niece. There's a lot less drama since my dad blocked me. I like Facebook though.

17. lemons123

Never had one, beat that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slight_smile:.

18. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I deleted my fb but I hadn't been active on it anyway so no big deal.

19. I deleted it once, then re-registered. Although it has terrible privacy concerns, It's all I have to keep in contact with family.

20. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would I know when it's snowing outside if I didn't have Facebook?

I'm a regular user, no shame. You guys just add the wrong kind of people.