1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmful to society ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miz Purple, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This comment was in reference to Kirk Cameron and other religious leaders saying gay marriage was a threat to society,I didn't like these comment because he says gay men do meth and have aids, straight people have aids and plenty of straight people do harmful drugs , so why is it ok for straight people to do those things but we have to ban gay marriage be ause gays do those things too?!? What our your thoughts ?!?

I take neither side but I guess it would depend on how you define destructive and detrimental. Some basic statistics from Reuters polls say that roughly 43% of gay men have or do use meth. This particular drug is very destructive to the overall society. Also the gay population makes up approximately 3% of the US population yet gay males account for 61% of the new HIV infections (these statistics are available on the cdc website). Those statistic alone could make a case for the argument that the lifestyle is not healthy or productive for society. Obviously not all gay people have these issues but you have to admit those are pretty large numbers in such a small population.

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Being a fan of Growing Pains and having a huge crush on Kirk Cameron....his views are warped....just like a lot of the 'Christian leaders'.

I know what Kirk Cameron needs....and I'd LOVE to be the one to give it to him....if you know what I mean :roflmao:

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    organised religion is far more harmful to society than gays will ever be

4. Gen

Gen

His words, nor these polls/percentages can even logically hold their ground. You have to first consider bias when it comes to any statistical polling to begin with. Despite that, you have to ask yourself how they could have done this poll. Doing a study on LGBT individuals is just as unreliable as doing a poll on people whose favorite color is green. There isnt any way to gather proper data on the subject. None of this information is even slightly valid.

Not to mention, percentages are always drastically higher in minorities. Which is why HIV was formally blamed on African Americans. Even considering that, minorities always have high percentages of drug use, poverty, suicide, and crime because on average, their lifes are made harder by society.

So dont believe this slander.

#4 Gen, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. J Snow

43% of a gay men having used meth? I promise that's not true. There has to be a confound because that is an insane percentage...

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I think those polls confuse what the cause is. LBGTQ people are not more likely to do drugs or engage in other problematic behaviors because of something innate to our orientation/gender identity. It is instead a result of the various forces that work to oppress us. It's similar to the reasons why a higher percentage of African Americans are in jail than in the general population. For example, they're more likely to receive a jail sentence than a white person would for the same crime.

Legalizing same-sex marriage won't increase drug use rates, but it would be symbolic of a general shift in societal attitudes that are inconsistent with the ideal society envisioned by those like Kirk Cameron (see this post by Libby Anne of Love, Joy, Feminism -- while not directly about same-sex marriage, it does deal with some of the broader cultural changes that Cameron likely fears). That's at least part of the reason why some people oppose it so vehemently.

7. 807

Of course homosexuality is harmful to society..What would happen if the sheep had their comfortable little misconceptions challenged?? what if everything was considered before being accepted & as a result some of it was rejected?? What if the world & religion was found to be different to how they wanted us to see it??
    Anything that is different to their conception of how it should be is harmful, but only to them & the warped little society they live in.

8. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Most of my best friends are gay guys and not one of them does meth! What kind of statistic is that?!

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed; that's just preposterous. My money is on the consideration that church types are not always the most scientific-minded, nor the most objective. That survey's "data" is pure propaganda and I'm actually feeling the curiosity turn to anger as I type this. How dare they try to gain favor for their "loving" group by sullying the reputation of innocent people with audacious lies?

#9 Argentwing, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  10. Suffocation

LOL yes, I do meth guys. And I also have aids

sorry, sorry.

11. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah there is no way you can even begin to believe that poll he says that 3% of the us population is gay and 43% do meth and 61 % have aids , how do even being to poll the entire population of gay people in America, there is no way this can be accurate .

12. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if the poll were accurate, it's more likely because gay people have to live under the awful pressure of social expectations and tacit homophobia in the laws and policies of their countries. Every gay person who lives in such societies and doesn't do drugs is an example of strength.

For example, Native Americans are known for their high rates of alcoholism. Far from it being related to a failure of character, it's because their culture has been systematically erased, their lands were stolen by the whites, and their existence is ignored. Of course it would wreck your self-esteem.

13. Emberstone

kirk cameron is harmful to society... and I am not the one who made that point: jesus did.

Kirk Cameron does every behavior that Jesus said was the sign of a charletan, and then told us not to listen or give credence to those people. He doesnt have spiritual faith, he has a dogma of persecution.

14. photoguy93

I'm quite sorry to say this, but look who are the majority of his followers. Logic isn't the forefront of their battle. It's protecting this "Jesus" try think existed, not the loving and accepting Jesus.

15. IanGallagher

Yep, I'm a natural born sexual deviant, grab your pitch forks! Lol. Society is fucked. Luckily that's just insane older generations while younger generations are accepting.

The craziest thing is that lgbt teachers/coaches/etc are dangerous. None of these things stand up under further scrutiny since everything's the same. From my experience there's nothing different, just the labels.

16. darlig ulv

Well maybe if you treated us like goddamn human beings we wouldn't all be depressed!

17. Pain

Pain Guest

I would say that the statistics are so high, still only because of social stigma. People are afraid of being seen as 'effeminate' or 'sissy,' so they resort to unsafe practices. Therefore, to avoid being found out, they don't risk buying condoms or whatever else. I think, at least.

18. unsuspecting

Ok you have a point one the statistics but what does that have to do with marriage? Two crack addicts can marry!I don't understand why the church is involved because you don't have to get married through the church you can go to the local courtroom and get married! In my god honest opinion they are just upset because being gay isn't necessarily the "norm" and as we all know if you don't fit in you get picked on (just like in middle school right?) Our society needs to grow up a bit.:eusa_doh: I mean really what's the deal so what if I wanna marry a guy I won't be hanging out with you if you're against it. Let us be our own little society with our own little problems :smilewave.