1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Book Lovers Day!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Isadoorian, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    August 9th is an Unofficial Holiday for Bookworms and Bibliophiles alike, titled Book Lovers Day, where you can spend the whole day reading whenever possible, or even visit the Library or your local Bookstore.

So fellow Bookworms, what are you reading Today? Finishing something? About to start that freshly purchased book, or the one that's been stowed away on your shelf for months calling out Reaad meee to you? Please, do tell us all about it!

2. Loves books

I’m halfway through several books. Mostly because they couldn’t hold my interest. I bought a book today Royal Expose by Jenny Frame that I’ve been looking forward to and I’ll have it finished by tomorrow. But I already read a book today called Redemption by DeJay and yesterday I reread the entire Sisters of Spirit trilogy so I don’t need a special day to spend the majority of my time reading. I have two kindles with over a 1500 books, the kindle app on my phone and the book thing on my iPad along with shelves with over 300 books.I spent most of my time in fictional worlds rather than reality. When I buy a new book I’ll only read half of it that day and save half for the next day because I read too fast. I read more than one full book a day and I have since I was a child. I was the only kid I knew who took out six books at the library and had them read in less than a week.

3. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm rereading Beloved by Toni Morrison. I'm trying to reread and read all the books people want to ban. Recently reread The Bluest Eye by her. Just reread Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451. Have started The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.

4. Redmelon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the Bluest Eye and Fahrenheit 451.
    I have recently finished rereading To Kill a Mockingbird, and have just finished reading The Murder Between Us, by Tal Bauer for the second time, and am about to start My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite.

5. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the movie too To Kill a Mockingbird! I will have to check those other novels out. Last night I watched Sounder again, have you ever seen that? Those books sound interesting @Loves books. What are you reading @Isadoorian ?

6. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have yet to finish and start some things; I'll likely try and finish Lore Olympus volume 1 and start one of my shorter books I have, either Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman or Mort by Terry Pratchett.

7. leggomymeggo96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi booklovers,

im reading needful things by Stephen King and Ray Bradbury’s collection of short stories.

do you all prefer any type of genre?

8. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've read Neil Gaiman. Its been a long time, can't remember what. And I read Coraline...shiver...

9. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't only read sci fi, but I love Ray Bradbury, Ursula K LeGuin, futuristic novels like the Handmaid's Tale, 1984, Clockwork Orange, Brave New World. Have you read The Illustrated Man yet?

10. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm mostly a SciFi and Fantasy person, my collection is a testament to that :sweat_smile: Though I do like the odd Mystery/Thriller as well

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly read literary fiction.

'The Handmaid's Tale' and 1984 are among my favourites of all time though.

12. Loves books

I tried reading the handmaids tale when I was a teenager but it was just too weird for me. I’m in to happy ever afters. I love romance books and they don’t need to be works of literary genius just interesting. I won’t read anything that will give me nightmares, I don’t really like the books that people rave over and I don’t like being told what to read. I don’t need my books to have some great meaning just a fun story will do. I prefer lesbian romance but no strict genre within that. I’ll go from the hot vampire to the courtroom drama and throw in some attractive doctors. I like the author Nalini Singh. Her books are straight romance but her Psy Changeling series is really good. They do have a few descriptive sex scenes in each book though so age would be an issue.

13. leggomymeggo96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not yet!! absolutely on my "to read" list. I agree with you, I enjoy the genre but I'll read just about anything.

14. leggomymeggo96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh and what does this collection entail?! SciFi and Fantasy is a genre I loved as a kid and am slowly getting back into as an adult after all of the academic reading :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I finished The Lion's Den by Katherine St. John recently, and loved it. I originally thought it was a murder mystery set on a yacht- it was far more dirty, insidious, and gritty than I thought. Had a good ending too. I loved it.

Another favorite of mine is called The Girl from Widow Hills- it was genius. It's about a nurse who moved to a rural town and has been there for two years (I think), but she's trying to hide her past. Someone from said past ends up in her lawn dead, and chaos ensues after.

I wonder what I'll find next in the books bargain bin... I found both of those randomly in Walmart, two separate summers (weird...).

16. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just got done reading Volume 3 of the Heartstopper comic novels. I have loved them so far and I can't wait to start the 4th volume.

17. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's all available on WebToon as well, it's currently on a hiatus until next month as Alice, the author, has had major burn out.

18. Ashwood Hunter

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remember reading Fahrenheit 451 in school, and I actually enjoyed it (don't tell the others). With all the controversy about it going around, I want to read it again. Well... that's after my backlog of books. My friends have made it their mission to make sure I always have something to read. But it's on my to do list.

19. Ashwood Hunter

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Something you may like is the vampire hunter novels by Laurell K Hamilton. She is a literal vampire hunter, so there are some mature themes, but nothing nightmarish. A tiny spoiler: the series features a reverse harem.

Another personal favorite is Song in the Silence. It's a beautiful tale that will make you cry. It does has a happy ending. It doesn't have any sex scenes in it either.