1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircut Anxiety (Or Is it Just Me?)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by thepandaboss, Dec 16, 2015.

1. thepandaboss

I'm getting a haircut later today because I've been putting it off for weeks. The place I usually get mine done is closed up for the season. Used to visit a couple local barber shops in the area but it got uncomfortable because of how some of the other guys working there used to react to me. So I had to settle for a Supercuts.

The idea of getting my haircut has just made me kind of anxious lately. I tend to get pretty weirded out when someone's in really close proximity to me (especially behind me) and they're not family or a partner. There's also the fact that I'm not sure whether or not the barber/stylist will recognize I'm a guy and if I'll end up with a girly haircut that frames my face in all the wrong ways. I'm getting all weird and anxious just thinking about it. Is this the case with anyone else?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had that problem as well, which is why I just ended up having my sister in law buzzing my hair off in the kitchen.
    You could ask for then to cut your hair exactly like a guys? Best thing to do is take deep breaths and remind yourself that it is just hair and that it will grow back

3. thepandaboss

I've been living as myself for two years. I'm legally male. So I should be able to just get a men's hair cut without issue. But I always worry that they'll see something about my bone structure or something. I've thought about getting clippers and doing it myself. Heck, I used to pay the neighbor $15 to buzz my fade. I didn't used to be so anxious but I get nervous about people being so close to me, especially after I was sexually assaulted last year.

4. randomconnorcon

I only ever get a haircut when it's absolutely necessary. I don't like people getting too close to me, especially with sharp objects, and the more masculine I want my hair the more they seem to make it as feminine as possible. Except this last one, so I might go back there when I finally really need a haircut. If I'm back home; I'm hoping to stay in London and I'm not sure about the one I have here.

5. thepandaboss

Okay I got the haircut and it wasn't that bad. Wasn't as horrible as I built it up in my mind. But this is a recurring issue. I have the same feelings when I go to the doctor even though it turns out to be an okay appointment.

6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate haircuts so much. I feel so uncomfortable having one and have always felt like that. I think it has to do with sitting in front of the mirror for 40 minutes, it makes me so dysphoric. I have such awful hair right now but I just cant get myself to go to the hair dresser because I'm terrified, I think I prefer going to the dentist and we have the most sadistic dentist...:icon_redf

#6 Eveline, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  7. thepandaboss

Sorry about that. Yeah, for me, it's just kinda claustrophobic. Once I'm actually there and if the hair dressers seem nice I usually calm down. I survived mine today. But yeah. I haven't been to the dentist in a few years as a matter of fact. And now that I have insurance, I'm still too weirded out to go. :dry:

8. MetalRice

My parents forced me to get a hair cut the other day, it was just horrible and made me so uncomfortable; but I just went and suffered through it and got it done.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hated it too.

I always hated how my hair looked, no matter what happened. Earlier this year, I did Leucan's buzzing challenge so I got it all cut. Still, only a few months later and I was back with a full head of hair xD

I swear, my hair is already back to the lenght it was, almost. I'm not getting it cut for a while. I also never know where to go to feel comfortable.

10. FootballFan101

Same

11. Riz

Riz

I'm glad to hear it went well even if you was nervous.

Though I'm kinda sad to hear so many feel bad getting their hair cut...

My hairdresser is a friend of the family so I'm alright going there and sit there for the five hours I need to get my hair like I want. That and she have some kind of super powers always cutting or color it exactly like I want to.

Hairdressers generally try and be chatty and nice because you're gonna spend quite some time together, so I wouldn't worry to much. If you're uncertain they won't recognize you as male, make sure they got it to avoid getting a cut you don't want to.

12. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Five hours? My god that is a long time O.O I've never had a hair cut that went past 20 minutes. Then again they never dye my hair, its washing and cutting and drying and then done.

13. Riz

Riz

That isn't even the longest I've been at a hairdresser's XD
    Last time I did all this:
    Bleach roots
    Wash out
    Dye black parts
    Wash out
    Silver toning
    Wash out
    Cut
    Blowdry/style

So with all that color sitting in for like 40min or so it takes some time XD it's expensive and time consuming to have good hair.....

14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just dye my hair at home if I ever choose to. Still turns out great. I couldn't sit there in a hairdresser chair that long. I would have to listen to all the pointless chit chat and gossip and try not to loose my temper at it.

15. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I got my hair cut last week in a unisex hairdresser.
    I showed her a pic of a boy that had the hairstyle I wanted and she was like "But you don't want a boy's cut, do you?" My mum sat next to me and I hadn't come out to anyone, so I just shrugged and said something along the lines of "Couldn't find the hairstyle om girls..."
    At first she cut my hair really feminine & I didn't like it. But I just said what I didn't like and what she should do differently and although she looked at me a bit weird (not offending, she was really nice) she did everything I said and I really liked the results :slight_smile:
    So if the barber or hairdresser doesn't cut your hair rhe way you want it to look, just tell them :slight_smile:

16. MetalRice

Yeah, no much you can do sometimes but just get through it and push on, as hair can thankfully always grow back and you can redo it however you want later.

17. randomconnorcon

I got my hair cut today! Went with my aunt and cousins and we all got them; thankfully it was the same hairdressers I went to last time so my aunt and cousins know the hairdressers. And my aunt and one cousin knows I'm trans, so I got what I wanted wihout trouble.

I'll post a picture soon. It's the shortest I've ever been and for the first time, happy hair cut. :grin:

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should have seen the face of the poor girl that had to shave my head a long time ago... The whole salon (all women, of course) kept looking at me, while I was grinning and wondering if I had some exhibitionist fetish.

I do have the anxiety, and lately I've been bitchin' about the hair, but I've moved to a new city and I'm still trying to find someone who is able to do XYZ. It is usually an old quiet man, for some reason, and he doesn't need much to understand I am there to get XYZ, so I don't have to suffer even the small talk attempts (never understood it : I want the guy to keep his mind on the damned task, not the conversation)

Try to find a hairdresser that does XYZ, probably a little place, not a chain.

There is always the possibility of DIY to avoid the whole thing.

#18 Michael, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  19. skip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I considered just cutting my own hair, but after remembering the way my stuffed animals always looked as a child (I was practicing to be a hair stylist XD) I decided it was just better to go and get it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I've found that if I bring a picture of a guy, and emphasize that I want it exactly like that, and point out things I don't like, it goes okay. As long as my mom doesn't get involved. (She's okay with me getting whatever hair I want, as long as she can pretend it's not a 'boys cut'.

20. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I always worry way, way too much about haircuts. You're not alone!
    You just have to stress and empathize that you want a guy's haircut, that's what my mom did for me. Plus I had a really nice stylist who went with it. Confidence, man!