1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group memberships?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by confusedkid, Jul 9, 2005.

1. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

What are group memberships? I see them on the profile but don't know what they are... can we form EC member clans?!?!?!?! HHAHAHAA I'm such a dork. :lol:

-CK

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been totally wondering about that too... I suspect it's for more complex boards with bigger memberships.

3. goratrix

hmmm, In another forum using vbulletin I've found group memberships used to manage post capabilities in somewhat more restricted forums, like HCL in LQorg... so I guess it has the unix concept of groups and users...

4. nisomer

english plz?

5. Aaron

Aaron Guest

I see this on other vbulletin forums. "This user is not a member of any public groups." None of them seem to have any groups to be a member of. Perhaps the beings of immeasurable wisdom and power (our beloved admins and mods) can shed some light on the subject? :icon_wink

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Immearsurable wisdom.... Well in my case it must be immeasurably low!

I think it's a feature of the vBulletin message board that isn't used here. As goratrix mentioned, it is shown on many vBulletin based forums (including one I run) and I don't thimk I've ever seen it being used. I have no idea what it does, and the FAQ doesn't give any details either.

See - I said I knew nothing! :wink:

7. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Well somebody please figure out how to set it up!?!?! I want to form a clan! :tongue:

-CK

8. goratrix

Seth, JD, Corny? would you enlighten us please??

*in the meantime goes to check the vbulletin site&forums*

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Let us know what you find out, please.

10. TriBi

I think you will find it is a feature that can be used to set up "special interest" groups - which could be of use on some types of forum, but I can't immediately see an application here. I guess I would tend to think of it as being somewhat akin to the "yahoo goup" type situation.

The only other forum I go to which also uses Vbulletin doesn't utilise it either - and that is a much higher traffic forum than this one.

11. goratrix

It has the same concept as unix groups.

There is a user. The user is member of a group. And, in the case of vbulletin, the group determines his permissions in each forum.

for instance, I am a member, and as a member I can post new threads, new replies, attachments and edit my posts (you'll see a little 'posting rules' section below). TriBi, is a mod, thus he can merge, censure, delete, move, etc threads and topics, he can also ban people, mark forums as closed and some other stuff I don't know. JD is admin, thus he can create new sections of the forum, he basically can do anything he wants with the forum.

Each group and each section has some predefined permissions and all that needs to be done is set them.

I don't see how it would be usefull here though... but I think it is good that vbulletin has this capability.

Google for more info on unix groups and permission... it's an interesting topic...

12. hawkeye

word of advice, if you dont use linux/unix, dont check up on the permissions, you will be confused before you even start reading. For some reason just about every manual is written for the advanced user.

I think the groups thing can be used to restrict people to certain sections of the forum, but sence the entire forum can be seen by anyone, the groups serve no perpose here.

13. Corny

Corny Guest

right so far, groups are basically for rights and settings management. so a bit more advanced than unix groups :wink:
    we only use them here to distinguish between anonymous, registered and moderator users. oh ok and the admins are a group, too :wink:

14. goratrix

Those seem like the default groups of vbulletin, still, it's more like ACL.