1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great article on parenting styles and my personal reflection.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by brainwashed, Oct 16, 2018.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The article:
    https://my.vanderbilt.edu/developme...f-parenting-styles-and-how-to-identify-yours/

Reflection.
    From the article:
    Do you have a healthy and open line of communication with your child? That is, does your child feel that they can speak to you about anything without fear of negative consequence or harsh judgment?
    My response:
    In my case I did not. And that’s the crux of my situation starting in my mid teens.

From the article:
    One of the most important traits to emulate in the authoritative parenting style is the open communication style with the child. If a parent can foster the ability to speak to their child without judgment or reprimand, they will be more likely to have insight into the child’s life and understanding, providing the child with a deeper understanding of the world around them.
    My response:
    My mom didn’t care about how I felt - there was her way and only her way. She didn’t want insight. She most certainly didn’t want to understand.