1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Great article: 'I'm sad that I didn't have sex until I was 37'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, May 11, 2018.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hmmm, interesting article but I really can't understand what exactly was his regret. He seems to be confusing human connection with sex. I'm sure he could have slept with a prostitute if he was so intent on losing his virginity. It would be better to say ¨I regret not having a meaninful relationship until I was 37.¨

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting reflection Kyle.

Throwing out for discussion. Does he regret lost time having finally found love with his now deceased wife, if he had started earlier, he would have more years of happiness.

#3 brainwashed, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought it would be about a gay dude, but didn't matter, other than for some people, being gay loads another layer of shame onto the situation. Definitely could have written some of the lines in that.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting piece.

I can definitely identify with one thing he brought up:

I look back on my youth with a sense of regret. It's almost as though I am grieving for something that didn't take place. I feel there's a stack of fond memories that aren't available to me, or a set of experiences that I didn't have.
    I have had those sorts of regrets, too. Although, of course, I recognize that had I dated or had sex when I was young, I'd have faced real problems. I'd have either ended up doing the expected thing, and dating females, which could have resulted in a straight marriage that would be falling apart right now. Or I'd have dated males, and suffered society condemnation. In other words, no matter what choice I made, that choice was horribly flawed.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think he has regretted missing out on life because of his shyness and social awkwardness. However, if he had started sex earlier then his life would be totally different and maybe he would not have found the love of his life. All of his painful past experiences has lead him to three years of happiness with a woman he loved. It's worth it if you ask me.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive had the same feelings. ​

Home run. Ah the value of this article and the dialog about it. Wonderful.

#7 brainwashed, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its almost sounds like he is lonely and is still grieving. My theory, and now he has returned to pre marriage depression.

I agree with what you say KyleD. My guess is, he returned to pre marriage behavior patterns.

#8 brainwashed, May 13, 2018
  9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It certainly sounded like he's got depression issues of some sort.

I wouldn't be surprised.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I've stated many times, I have never had a single date, let alone a relationship. I didn't even have any informal dates just for the purposes of attending a social event (e.g., prom--but then I didn't attend such events, anyway). I've mentioned this to mental health professionals, and it's pretty clear they consider it...at least unusual. My current therapist was obviously very surprised.

Then, last fall, I had to go through a psychological screening to verify that I have depression (needed because of a program I'm on). But the screening covered a large area, and one question was about relationships. I indicated no relationships. Immediate follow up question: did I want a relationship? Or something like that? I can't remember exactly what I said, but part of what I said was pointing out what seems to me to be incredibly obvious: I currently have zero marketable value for good relationships. Or something like that. I later got a copy of the report, and it was interesting to note that the psychologist made special note of what I said about relationships.

I am guessing that if one doesn't have a history of dating, it's somehow seen as abnormal by those in the mental health world.

#10 BMC77, May 13, 2018
  11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Brainwashed - Yeah he certainly seems like he has returned to his pre marriage patterns. I feel like he is dwelling too much on the past instead of living in the present. However, he may still be grieving.

BMC77 - That's a good point. Everyone is different.

#11 KyleD, May 13, 2018
  12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah the old "returning to old habits trap". Gets ya all the time. And/or the grieving trap. I've told myself time and time again time to turn around (stop looking back) and walk forward.

13. AndHeCried

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never had a relationship. I wish I had one though. I'm not sure how to go about getting into one.

14. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently going through what this guy had to suffer from except I fear it will never end. I have suffered clinical depression since I was 17 and living with it for nearly 12 years now has ruined me in so many ways. I still see people around me, both family and strangers, getting married and having kids while I can't even get a date either by asking a girl out for coffee or through online dating. I have Aspergers syndrome and in the culture I live in (Bible Belt), I am sometimes thought of to be gay or a pedophile for being alone most of the time.