1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduating a semester early?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by steveo, Jan 16, 2009.

1. steveo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    With my first semester of junior year coming to and end I've found myself looking what my options are for senior year and I found out if I take an english class over the summer I can graduate after my first semester of senior year. Personally I would love to get out of high school asap but would it look bad on my transcript if I did graduate early? I decided to not come out during high school for various reasons so it kind of feels like the sooner I get out the sooner I can come out and get on with my life. However I don't want something on my transcript that would make it look even worse than it already is lol.

Besides that it feels like everything I put off when I was younger because I thought it seemed so far away is all the sudden happening now. It's confusing,scary, and fun all at the same time to know that one chapter of your life is ending and a new one is going to begin very soon. Whether I graduate early or not I'm really excited! :eusa_danc

2. Ben

Ben

If you want to graduate early, then go for it!
    I doubt taking the class over the summer would put you at any disadvantage, if you end up with the same qualifications as you would have gotten had you gone down the normal route, I don't think they'll mind (they might even see it as commitment to learning - and it would be a positive thing).
    I think you should just do whatever you think is appropriate :slight_smile:

3. Mickey

I applaud you for wanting to get on with your life!
    I don't see where graduating early would be a disadvantage,though.
    I think it would look quite positive for you. It means you're smart!
    Maybe this is something you should think over,but only you can decide what is best for you. Good luck!

4. Good for you for being able to leave early! I know I would have taken that chance if I had it. And on the contrary I would think it would look better that you graduated early, because it would show that you took your education much more seriously than most do.

5. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Graduating early just for the sake of graduating early can be dangerous. I'd say stay in school. Think of highschool as setting yourself up for college. It's like you're building your resumé. The classes you take, clubs you join, etc all show up and are looked over by colleges.

Now if you don't shoot very high in terms of colleges, i don't see much problem with graduating early. However, if you're looking at colleges that are not so easy to be accepted in, you'd better be taking some darn good classes. And the more good classes the better. If you don't graduate early you can take challenging classes to impress colleges and show them that you are committed to school and study hard. If you graduate early, you lose this and are stuck with whatever you've done so far. Although if what you've done so far is impressive enough, this shouldn't be a problem.

You should really do two things: First of all, have an idea were you're headed after highschool. Start looking for colleges and have some in mind along with an idea(s) of what your major might be. If you already know exactly, excellent. Secondly, talk to your college counselor or regualr student counselor. They can help you plan for what colleges and careers you have in mind and from there can advise you what your options are and whether you should graduate early or not.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

6. revolutionrock

I think that you should definitely be doing something during your semester off.

Seems like if you did nothing, colleges would be more concerned with that than impressed by the fact that you got out early.

7. littledinosaurs

DO IT
    i would have done it if i could have.
    And it won't look bad and just apply to colleges in the Spring of your graduation year instead of the fall.

8. TheRoof

of course its ur decision but i say go for it
    i mean, the fact that u graduate earlier than other people means (at least to me) that you're a smart person, and i dont see any reason why i should look bad on your transcript. if u have any questions, u should go and talk to the guidance counselor in ur school.
    hope this helps.

9. kevinx519

id say to take n8i2c7k's advice. it can be really dangerous to jump into those kinds of matters without putting some deep and serious thought into it. you may end up regretting your decision and by then, itll be too late to go back. consider all the things youll be missing aka senior prom, graduation etc etc. the senior year of high school is a good preparation for college so maybe half the experience might not be enough to prepare you? well thats how i feel myself. im halfway through my senior year and i feel that im starting to become ready to go off to college.

10. Lychee

What exactly would you be doing in that semester that you would otherwise have been at school?

I'm sure that it's very tempting to finish school early, and you really can't wait, and this may impact your ability to make reasoned and well-thought out decisions.

If you think that it could negatively impact your schooling, you should consider waiting another semester - I mean, what is one extra semester in 12 or 13 years of schooling?

Just make sure that you aren't going to regret the decision that you do end up making.

That being said, if you find something to do in that semester you have off, it could make your college applications look even better as you'd look dedicated because of summer school.

It's great that you're excited for all the challenges that lie ahead, and that you have the opportunity to graduate early if you so choose.

11. Greggers

I would have if i had the option, since my Christian School had me on the brink of suicide

It depends on your situation i guess, it sounds like you have a reason to and if you want to then dont try and stop yourself

12. steveo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry for the delayed response. Things that would probably take a whole other thread to explain have been going on right now. As for what I would do with the extra semester, well I don't have any concrete plans but I would probably work to help pay for college since I have to pay for it myself. I was actually thinking of going to a community college for two years and then transferring to a four year school to lessen the cost but I don't know if that gonna look bad too or if I even want to be that close to home lol. Me and my Mom are meeting with my guidance counselor on Thursday to discuss things more in depth.