1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Questioned about my gender in a job interview

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KoboYu, May 24, 2021.

1. KoboYu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi all, It's not my first time here. Last time I was here, it was 7 years ago (if not more)
    The reason I'm here today because at the title states, Its nothing new regarding questioning my sex. I will explain briefly. I was assigned female at birth (could be intersex). I identify as a male, I didn't come out yet. Apart from that, my hormones inclined to the male side and now I have deep voice along with standard male features. My legal papers and everything is female, most of thr times I present as a guy so I don't get questions. When I present as a girl, everything is fine as long as I don't open my mouth. Also because I'm in a Muslim country and hijab is mandatory, I wear and that classify me immediately as a girl.
    Now if I wanna apply to a job. I have to present my ID or legal name and such. I had an online interview at first it was a phone call and I gave the interviewee my female name but he carried out the conversation as if talking to a guy. Next interview had to be a video call and because I don't wanna pose any risks or questions, I wore the hijab and gave him my name again but he turned off his camera and then kept disappearing and told me to wait. Then I heard a different voice and it was a manager of the company and he said : are you wearing a hoodie or Hijab? And I said Hijab and he apologized that his coworker got confused and indirectly the manager said he had to ask obviously if he is talking with a man or a woman. We continued normally. Now I don't know for how long I will have problems with this or how many times I will get rejected because of the confusion I spur in people.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC.

I am sorry that this is causing issues for you. I wish that I had an answer but I do not know anything about living in such circumstances. I hope that you are able to make things work.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have the possibility to get your documents changed? Or at least your name to a less feminine one?

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get questioned in job interviews, but they use the legal name at work, and whatever I try to do at work and have to give my legal name, everyone is confused, because I'm also on the intersex spectrum and identify as a guy. Luckily, I don't have to present as female, but I often get called sir if I do... doesn't make much sense imo. The way I want to go about it is get my name changed to a masculine one.

5. KoboYu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know how the process goes here but for sure if you asked for a male name and they see female stamped on your birthday certificate, your request will be rejected

6. KoboYu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Perhaps your name is gender neutral cause that wouldn't be a problem, yeah.

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that can be a solution too.

And I don't know if a legal change of gender is possible where you live? Then you could have a male name.

8. KoboYu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Change of gender is not possible here as far as I'm aware of it. Also I have checked the possibility of changing names and you have to have your father's consent or legal guardian to approve of your new name.