1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got hydrogen peroxide into my eye

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gambit, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Gambit

A couple of minutes ago I got a little bit of hydrogen peroxide into my left eye. It start burning the left corner of my eye, but I washed my eye for 10 minutes in water and it stop burning. It looks like the corner of my eye is irritated, but nothing else. I dont know if i should go to the ER for such a little contact with peroxide.

so has anyone else gotten hydrogen peroxide into your eye? what did you do?

thanks!
    Charlie

2. mydogstewie

The bottle says to flush with water for 15 minutes and get medical attention immediately.

3. Zumbro

Call poison control first. You didn't get a huge amount it sounds like, so I would think wasting money on the ER when you might not need to is a bad thing.

4. Swimming4ever

Since I am a former lifeguard I would check on your eye and if it continues to burn or look worse then call poison control and they will let you know what course of action to take. Its always better to play it safe then sorry when it comes to this stuff.

5. Gambit

Thanks for your replies! I called poison control and they told me everything will be ok since i didnt get a peroxide splash into my eye. It doesnt burn right now and my eye is not red anymore. I kinda freak out when it first happened, but now I now i'll be ok.

6. KaraBulut

It depends on the concentration and how much exposure there is.

Hydrogen Peroxide that is manufactured for cleaning wounds is usually less that 5% concentration. It's fairly harmless at that concentration, so a quick eyewash followed by lubricating eye drops and rest is usually all that is needed.

The hydrogen peroxide that is used for bleaching- usually concentrations of 5-20% is much more caustic. You should do an immediate eyewash and then go to the emergency room for further treatment.

7. samaste march

Hydrogen Peroxide is fairly harmless. It is used for bleaching. Any eye problem better wash with cold water 3 to 4 times, it is best medicine for emergency.