1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend is jealous of best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by eismeister, Jan 1, 2019.

1. eismeister

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everybody,

So last night my girlfriend and I had our first fight. We have been together since September. English is not her first language, but I speak her first language ok enough and she speaks English the same. She's lived in Ireland awhile now.

My best friend of almost 10 years is a straight girl. She's pretty, but definitely not my type and 100% straight. I have zero interest in her. They have met, and I had no idea until yesterday she was jealous. My girlfriend and I had plans that fell through. So I was busy taking care of a sick relative and trying to figure out what to do for NYE. Meanwhile, my best friend invited us to a party in Dublin. I asked my girlfriend and she said when. I said probably be ready in about an hour for me to pick her up. She said that wasn't possible. I said that was fine, I wasn't sure if the party was happening or really if I wanted to go. I said maybe I would just drop my friend off and then asked if my girlfriend wanted to come over and watch a movie.

Anyway, she then texts me and says, "Call me a b****, call me jealous, but go sleep with your best friend. You don't answer for hours and so I have no idea where my girlfriend is or what she's doing."

I obviously was shocked. I have literally never looked at another woman since dating her. She is beautiful and smart and I tell her this all the time. Being the lesbian stereotype I am, I fell in love with her at first sight. She is way out of my league so I don't know what she is thinking.

So I ask if I can call her. She says no, that she is too angry. I'm just so shocked, I'm thinking about what to say. She then texts again and says, "See, 30 minutes and you can't say a single word. Happy f***ing new year, go out with your best friend." This felt like a stinging slap in the face, and I did start to cry. I'm still kind of confused how it spiraled so out of control.

I compose myself and send a voice message in English, because I want to be clear, and say that I didn't answer because I was taking care of my sick relative, and that I didn't really know what was going on with plans. That I would never look at another woman because I was so in love with her. That I was sorry that I didn't answer, and that was my fault. She sent me a message that she was upset she didn't tell me what was going on with me taking care of my relative.

I asked if I could call. She explained that I talk about my friend all the time and wasn't clear about where I was. I apologized. I went over to her house with flowers and took her to a bar. She seemed sorry, but also made it clear she doesn't want to hear about my friend anymore. That the first time she met her she thought our relationship was odd. I told her that I was confused how she could think that when I spend all my time working or with her. The craziest thing in the world for me would be to pursue 2 women, I don't even know how men do it. I take her places, buy her gifts often, pay for 98% of things. I'm affectionate to her and have to initiate almost all intimacy. I feel like I am very attentive. I think some of this misunderstanding was language, but tried my best.

I am not really sure what to think. I love this girl so much. But I am hurt she would jump to such a conclusion. I also am not going to cut my friend out of my life. But today I felt nervous picking my girlfriend up because I didn't want to mess up and hurt her again. She seemed comfortable with me, but I was being careful with my words. That's hard for me since I have a good sense of humour and I'm generally very easygoing. Just in general I hate drama and just am very go with the flow.

I don't know how to go forward with anything. Any advice or shared experiences with this would be great.

TL;DR: Lesbian girlfriend jealous of straight best friend, advice needed.