1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte mother board help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shorthaul, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I just got a GA-970A-DS3P motherboard and the AMD chip under the Northbridge heat sink over heats under little use. Like just having a few internet tabs open will over heat it and the machine restarts. A friend helped me pull the heat sink off, clean off the thermal tape and apply some good thermal paste. That seemed to help the chip transfer heat to the heat sink better, but it still runs far to hot. It will run for a while with a small desk fan blowing on the heat sink, but that really isn't helping the problem.

Any idea on how to get better air flow over the factory heat sink or a better heat sink? I'm not exactly keen on trying to warranty it or fight for a refund and getting another motherboard.

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've read, that particular NB is known to run very hot and that particular motherboard is known to have poor cooling. I'd check the power supply to be sure nothing is receiving too much voltage, however, it seems that a new motherboard would be the best option as that one will eventually fry itself.

3. MzMrAlexa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    While I'm not familiar with this particular MB and it's Overheating issues a few things I might try or check are-

1. Where is the PC located? Is it under a desk or in a spot where it doesn't have good airflow available or tend to recirculate air (like in a desk with a door etc)?

2. Have you Tried adding extra Case fans? Since many Cases only come with minimal cooling fans things can tend to overheat. Also since you know where the problem is can you arrange your case fans to more efficiently push or pull air across the head sink? (also Fast airflow isn't always the best.. Too much air can create laminar flow to where the airflow across the fins on the heat sink is stagnant actually decreasing cooling effectiveness).

3. Does the case itself have adequate ventillation? I've seen many cases that look cool but really don't have an open enough design for good cooling flow.

4. Are you using a lot of power from your USB ports? Remember that everything that you have plugged into a USB port is pulling power through your MB. Usually this isn't a problem but if your having heating problems and use a lot of USB Items try plugging them into a separately powered USB Hub to reduced current and heat on the MB (this includes things like fans, chargers, case lighting and USB powered Speakers).

Good Luck! and if you find a good fix please let everyone know what it is.