1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GIC referral in the UK

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lee15, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Lee15

I just booked an appointment with my GP, to ask about being referred to a Gender Identity Clinic. I've heard that some GPs aren't very familiar with the procedure, and that I should take information with me in case they don't understand what I'm asking for.

I'm printing off the 'guide on gender dysphoria services' that it says to take with you on the NHS website, but is there any other information you would recommend taking? What questions should I be prepared to answer?

Basically, I'd just like to know what to expect from the appointment, and if anyone has been through this process I'd really like to hear about your experiences. Thanks!

2. randomconnorcon

My first GP didn't really believe me, partly I think because he didn't really know anything past the NHS definition of gender dysphoria (which I had hoped would be a good starting point, but no, he rarely brought it up past telling me said definition, which I obviously already knew, and making it sound like I was confusing it with anxiety and self confidence, though I'm not sure if that was his intention). So I talked to my therapist for anxiety next and he sent a letter to my second (and current) GP. Both times, it was most mostly just answering their questions, mixing in what I've researched with personal experience. But you know you're likely on the right track when an inexperienced GP is willing to ask you questions simply to understand what you're going through, which is what my current GP did. If your GP doesn't do this, it doesn't mean they won't help you, but if your gut tells you they won't, go to a different GP.

#2 randomconnorcon, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest taking the name and number of the GIC you want to go to, too, so your GP has someone they can contact straight away. Also some GPs try to send you through mental health and not refer you straight to the GIC so to prevent that from happening bring the info talking about the 2013 rule that was passed saying they have to give you a direct referral. If you can't find it let me know, I have the doc somewhere.

Personally the GP I went to wasn't the greatest experience. He asked me the generic stuff like family life, if I'd told anyone, dysphoria and then he went on to talk about sexuality which is completely unrelated and went on saying "if you're attracted to men, how do you think that's going to work if you transition?" ...homosexuality is a thing! Stupid -.- He did end up referring me straight to Charing Cross eventually though so I guess I have to be thankful. All GPs are different though and I went to one that I've never seen before. If you go to your regular GP they should be more helpful and understanding. I hope it all goes well, GPs have to see patients about lots of different things so try not to stress too much although that's easier said than done.

4. Lee15

Thanks for your replies! My usual GP has left so I picked someone I've seen once before, who was straight to the point and asked a lot of questions then. I don't know if he has experience with trans people, but my mum has seen him several times about a few different things and says he's really helpful.

I didn't know you could be referred straight to the GIC, I thought I would have to go through mental health, so thank you for mentioning that. I found a document titled 'interim gender dysphoria protocol and service guideline 2013/14' with a flow chart that lists referral as the next step after seeing a GP, with no mention of mental health services. Is this the document that you mean? I can't find anything more specific about that rule.