1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting unsocial / introverted due to sexuality issue

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Warrior999, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I was never social or the outgoing type, I could be social if the situation demanded it. I would go to my family's gatherings (we grew up in a joint family type unit), go to my friends' birthdays and weddings etc etc. However, the question that would always crop up was: "When are you going to get a girlfriend?" Since all my friends had boyfriends/girlfriends, I was the odd one out. Now I am 29 years old, so I don't even get that - I straight out get "When are you going to get married". I tried answering, I am not interested, I will do it when I feel the need, I am happy being single etc etc. But how long do I deflect this question? How long can I continue to answer like that?

People are not oblivious. I am sure many people suspects. Coming from a deeply religious Muslim country and a moderately conservative SouthAsian nation, there's not a chance I can come out in the open just like that. But I cannot evade these questions either.

So what I did? I eventually stopped going to gatherings - unless it was absolutely necessary. I stopped attending parties, weddings of my close friends, I stopped talking with people, I even closed my FB account etc.

Has anyone felt that their gayness has turned them unsocial? Or more appropriately, has anyone felt that, the lingering questions surrounding your sexuality/ dating life, the judgemental looks and talks from people is deterring you from being social or outgoing? That you have turned more inwards, and gotten extremely introverted because you can't, you just can't face people due to this reason? Since sex/love/romance/marriage is all people talk about when I am out with my friends/family, I tend to avoid them -- even very close ones. Hell, even people I am out to -- like my parents, sister, cousins etc -- even with them I feel like the weird-one-out cause all of them are straight and married to people, and I am the only elephant in the room.

So can someone relate?

2. Y2B

Y2B

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're not alone, I went through this too. There was no other way than to break up with them. Now I live in peace and quiet and no one's questioning what I'm doing. I only keep in touch with people who think the same as me. Of course you can come out to your friends, but I don't think it's a good idea.

#2 Y2B, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, it never occurred to me that my extreme introversion was a result of my sexuality. I have never been a highly social person, but the increase in introversion did happen around the time I became aware of my sexuality.

4. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is why I love this forum. You write your problems, and you have a dozen people (well 2 people is as good as dozens hahaah) empathizing with your situation. Thank you for responding.