1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting through that final stage of coming out...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by handonthehandle, Mar 26, 2013.

1. handonthehandle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I've managed to come out to my closest friends (at least the ones that I talk to on a weekly basis), and came out to my parents about a week ago. It will take my parents some time to come around, but I'm optimistic that everything will turn out in the end.

Now, I don't know what to do. I had told my friends up until now to keep my news private, as I wanted to ensure my parents got the news directly from me. So...how do I go about taking the jump to being completely out (i.e. to classmates, coworkers, other friends that I don't talk to on a regular basis)? I'm exhausted by these intense, personal conversations, and just want everything to be done.

Anybody have any tips or experiences to share? I realize I'm not married, and may not have hit the "30" cutoff, but I feel like at this point, my life has become more complex than it was when I was in HS or college, and has made this coming out process all the more cumbersome.

2. PeteNJ

Good question. I hit the same place you're at this past week. Parents, kids, ex- wife, all close friends, and every organization that I or my kids are a part of know I'm gay. So what's next?

Well, I have a date this weekend. I'm taking him to a place that I've gone to for years with friends, my kids. Will it be obvious? IDK and I don't care! Its ok.

I've still got a few sensitive areas of my life (well, my kids lives), that I want to hold off broadcasting the news until mid-June. Though this past week I was at a meeting of LGBT organizations and am on news video... so it all depends who sees and what conclusions they might make.

Not exactly waved the flag on Facebook, though I'm liking and sharing things about marriage equality, etc. But soon...

For me being out is about no secrets. That's not exactly the same as standing on the roof tops shouting I'm gay. I don't do that with my faith, politics, etc. either. (maybe I should?!?).

So if someone asks, I'll tell. I won't use strange pronouns to describe my dates or what kind
    of man I want to be with.

I have a friend who just came out, and a friend of his got him a subscription to OUT magazine -- his friend said at least the mailman will know ;-)

Good thread -- other ideas folks?

3. handonthehandle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Pete - I agree with you, in that I don't feel the need to broadcast my sexuality to the rest of the world...it's just that I've spent such a long time not being fully honest with people that I would normally have been completely open with, just because I had yet to be honest with myself. The whole marriage equality bit on Facebook today adds another possibility, maybe I'll throw up the picture & answer honestly & openly should anyone inquire about it. Part of me just wants to have this whole "coming out" process over with...

4. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it is over when you tell every one you care about... It is impossible to tell everyone, and I think it is like if you were warning them about your sexuality, as if they could chose to stay your friend or not... This news spread like a plague, so if someone asks you tell that you are out of the closet, or tell a good co-worker, and that's it...

That is just what I would do. I am trying to get out yet, and confessing yourself to everyone fells exhausting. Hope you figure it out, and please say what you did so when it is my turn i will do the right thing :slight_smile:

5. LD579

If everyone important in your life knows, it's pretty much over. It's really easy to just correct people if they say or ask things, about girls or girlfriends and stuff. Like if someone remarked on how cute a guy was, you could jump in with your opinion. Or even if you just see someone who's really attractive, and you want to point him out, you could, if your friends or acquaintances are like that as well (if they point out attractive people as well).

It really isn't a big deal at this point. You've gone over the most important milestones, so to speak. I'd compare this to being in a math class, and having trouble with grade 12 level calculus. Once you overcome those difficulties, you won't have troubles with those anything thrown at you in the class anymore. Hopefully I've explained myself well enough.