1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Divorced and My Cat Died

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by FalconBlueSky00, Nov 13, 2016.

1. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last weekend on Saturday and Sunday my husband and I broke up. I asked for a divorce. The relationship was a mess and it just kept getting worse. I didn't have anything left to put into it anymore. On Monday night my kitty had basically a stroke and complications. I lost him within 3 hours. Until maybe today I really didn't know if I was going to be ok. I was really overwhelmed.

The bright points have been that both our families have been very supportive and kind, and that so far it's looking to be an amicable divorce. I start the paperwork tomorrow. I'm sad that we couldn't work things out, and relived that I don't have to try anymore, and guilty that I don't want to.

The loss of my kitty is still hitting me really hard. I have a doggie and another kitty but neither of them are big on snuggles. I know it gets better in time, but right now I just want my baby back.

Thanks for listening. I haven't been around much lately, and hope y'all are all doing well.

2. faustian1

Oh, I understand all too well. You'll likely miss your cat more than the ex-husband.

I've had to deal with death in the family, but when the cat died that had basically adopted me and became my best buddy when I was lonely and really needed one, it was seriously bad for me.

Somehow, I've never understood how we can become so attached to animals like cats that happily do without us for a week with plenty of food and a "cat door," yet act as such accepting companions.

I think you need someone to talk to. I hope you can find someone. And maybe if you're lucky, like I was on that day in 1985, you'll find a cat snoozing on the back seat of your car, and he'll just refuse to leave.

3. Romancer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, I think because animals like cats and dogs are so good to have in one's life is because we feel that they love us no matter what. That, I think, is what we are all hoping to find, unconditional love...love that does not ask us to change who we are or how we live or what we do or what we look like. I have many times felt with various pets that they are kind of like what humans should be like, warm and loving a friendly and kind, without all of the stupid hangups and biases that most people have.

So in going through your struggles right now...try to be like a cat!

4. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So sorry to hear you are going though all of this at once. Sweet memory to your kitty.. Hope you are going to do better soon..
    As for your husband, if it was time then it is for the best.. It's just all the ins that go along with it and you are dealing with that are not easy to say the least. Great to know your families are supportive.. (*hug*)

5. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Bunny. Really sorry to hear that about both your divorce and your cat. Big hugs <3

Good that your families are being supportive and sounds like you felt it was the right thing to do.

Happier times ahead hopefully.

If you ever want to chat please shout me :slight_smile:

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Bunny

Sorry you are gong thru such a rough time.

I know how it feels when a pet dies. There is something about that unconditional love and devotion that a pet offers that can be so comforting. Best.

7. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear about your rough time right now, Bunny. Hang in there, you are a good person, and I hope you find a lot of happiness in the near future. I'm glad you posted, too, it's good to hear from you even if it is a rough patch for you.

8. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone