1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting closer

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Searching1, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely agree. I wish I could just have a tsunami of realization. But instead it's like peeling an onion.. or tiptoeing in.. little by little getting closer. I could see how validating that must have been having the experience you did. That is what I am wanting and constantly searching for- validation. I agree so much of my uncertainty or trying to making things work with my husband may be denial. Clarity does come in waves. I feel doubtful when I wonder if it's just not that big of a deal. Is this just a sex or arousal thing? If that is it, then can't I just be happy with what I have with my husband? We work in every other way. I'm skeptical if I'm really missing something or if I am searching for something deeper than realistic. It all just seems so risky to give this up. But regardless, sex and intimacy are important.

No need to apologize for talking about yourself and your relationship. We are all here are similar journeys trying to get support. Your story is inspiring to read of the sweet connection you had.

Leela80, OED27x and NeonSocks like this.
  2. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read through the last two pages of posts and just really appreciate everyone's willingness to share some really raw stuff. I love you guys. I feel less alone knowing you all are out there.

Has anyone heard of the book (graphic novel based on the author's life) and subsequent musical Fun Home? It won some Tony's in 2014 and it's available on Spotify. It is seriously heavy stuff (tears warning!) but it's about a girl coming out in college and some secrets her parents have been dealing with that are very related to this conversation. Ring of Keys and Telephone Wires are both fantastic but Party Dress and particularly Days and Days really hit home. Curious if anyone else is familiar with it in the context of trying to make a relationship work and the burden of inauthenticity

#82 leb10, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Searching1 and NeonSocks like this.
  3. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have thought about this question a lot. And here's my theory. I'm thinking that the gender we have the most sexual attraction towards would also be the gender that everything would be "better" with. Wouldn't that make sense? So, if I could never be truly lost and vulnerable in sexual intimacy with a man, I would also not be able to truly partner with one to face all the highs and lows of life. We just wouldn't "click". That said, you think you are fine with your husband in every other way. Maybe that's true. But maybe you couldn't really know that unless you tried something else? Maybe what you think is working is actually a pale reproduction of something that would work on a whole other level.

The only thing I have so far in terms of personal experience is that when I thought I was straight, I never wanted to be married, have a house, have kids, etc. The vision of me having a family with a man was always completely foreign and distasteful. I did it anyway just to shut people up. Now, I haven't tried it with a woman yet, obviously, but honestly just **thinking** about a committed marriage with V where we raise kids together and run a home together makes me absolutely giddy. There was NEVER a guy in my life that I could picture doing that with and feel anything but dread.

These are just my musings and ramblings...

xSilent08x, Mabel and Searching1 like this.
  4. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All good and valid points, @RJay! I was sort of playing the devil's advocate against myself for a bit there as I do agree.. usually who we are sexually attracted to is who we likel would be able to form a deeper emotional bond with. And I know that I have felt that deep, soul-like bond with women more than men. There also HAS always felt like there was something more missing.. a connection of a sort.

On a different note I just got off the phone with one of my close friends and she reminded me of a tipsy/drunk conversation we had 3 years ago. I didn't think ANY of this was in my radar at this point. I was only 2 years married. I remember saying to her and her sister, "I'm 70/30". They were like wow okay, 30% attracted to women. I corrected them and said, "no, I'm 70% gay, 30% straight". They laughed in disbeleif. I remember feeling giddy and proud. Wtf.. I totally forgot about this!!! It's like I've known all along. I'm pretty sure now I'm like 80-90% gay. I'm so close to saying eff this bullsh*t I'm a lesbian.

NeonSocks, RJay, leb10 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the analogy of peeling an onion, I've been saying that for years. It's the only way I've been able to explain this.

Here is the thing I tell myself over and over, because I keep asking myself if it's "really that important". Would I agonize and ask myself that over and over for years if it weren't ? There has to be something to that? My husband said that before me even. He said "you need to just be able to call yourself gay, this is real, this is you, I need to hear you say it so I'm sure you need to hear yourself say it."

As far as the experience? I really don't think you need it, it helps, you don't need it though. I guess that's what I was trying to say. I still question things, I still need more proof? Because we love and care about our husbands we ruminate. Everything will change, for them and us. So we want to be sure. I'm getting to the point where I'm weary, my hope is that I tire of the ebb and flow and just go with it....it's gotta be how acceptance happens.

Searching1 likes this.
  6. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could see how the experience wouldn't be completely necessary. I do feel like it would sure validate things though! Like any blocks I have up may be lifted if I had an amazing experience with a woman. It is true that having amazing husbands I'm sure just makes us agonize with uncertainty so so much more! I'll be giving up so much.

#86 Searching1, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Mabel likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the question whilst maybe difficult to answer is do you think you would call yourself gay if you didn't have a husband. I know it's not necessarily that simple but perhaps something to consider and I know it doesn't change your current situation.

Searching1 likes this.
  8. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, @silverhalo, yes that is good advice. If I wasn't married I certainly would have many less inhibitions with admitting that I am attracted to women. It would be so much easier to just try dating and see how I feel. I think I am comfortable at this point regardless admitting I'm "more gay than straight" but have a hard time owning being "lesbian" ...at least until I get further validation.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I totally get that. Not that it's entirely the same thing but when I was first coming to terms with the fact I was gay i went through this whole period of 'how do I be gay', as in like what do gay people do, as though I was supposed to have been given some sort of handbook and guidelines on induction but somehow they had missed me out and now I find myself with no clue what I'm supposed to be doing. It took me ages to realise that there isn't any way to be gay I just have to be myself and myself is gay.

IrishEyes, NeonSocks, leb10 and 4 others like this.
  10. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love this!

silverhalo likes this.
  11. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is all very true! I already am like, "wait what, me? I can't be gay. I'm not like the other gay girls". I'm also concerned I'm not gay enough to take on any identity. So silly. Being yourself is always the best advice!

#91 Searching1, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved this! I totally remember that feeling. I started searching out anything I could find about the gay community--magazines, books, whatever. I have this great book called something like Gay and Lesbian Etiquette, if you can believe it. Turns out, it's not that much different from regular etiquette. :slight_smile:

OED27x, silverhalo and Searching1 like this.
  13. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love the onion thing too. My therapist gave me a similar analogy. You know the hard candy Gobstoppers (or Jaw Breakers)-they are covered with colorful layers and layers. And, as you get into the center a white core is revealed. He actually googled a picture of a broken open Gobstopper to show me just how many layers. He called the white center the place of authenticity, the real stuff of a person, and where true beauty and peace lies. He was saying how I am making great progress with living from my core and revealing my core. But I tend to panic and go back into hiding myself; running back to my 'comfort zone' of one of the outer- most layers. This really resonated with me!

Funny how we forget about these little 'tells' from years ago. I remember many years ago (15 or so!) a new girl started at work. She was an out lesbian. I was married at the time. In the lunchroom one day I mentioned my husband. She looked right at me and said, 'You're married? Oh. I thought you were a lesbian.' (This is stereotypical but for context, but I'm quite feminine in my style, so not likely appearance wouldn't have been a give-away.) I was taken aback by her comment! But WOW was her gaydar ever right on target! YEARS before my own gaydar of ME!

I'm still FB friends with this girl, though no other connection.. Have thought about sending her a message, 'Hey Mary, just wanted to let you know. You were right!!!'

OED27x, RJay, Searching1 and 2 others like this.
  14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG this totally happened to me when I was working in a summer job as a pony trekking instructor. I am still friends with one of them, I'm sure she enjoyed the moment I came out to her haha

15. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is so crazy, @Moonsparkle! Funny how we can have signs all along but have to accept thing on our own terms. I also can look back on my life and think to all the signs. I would always get sooo possessive over friends and hurt when they would spend time with anyone else.

Interesting progress over here. Individual therapy was good yesterday. I told him I have accepted I am more gay than straight and it's enough to know I need to move forward with this break. I have accepted that without it I will always wonder. We both need this resolve things and get answers.

We just came from couple's therapy. I was so surprised by her new approach and so thrown off! She started the session drilling me and asking, "why can't I just decide to stay and choose to put the feelings I've had aside?". She continued on this path and kept talking about needing to just work on sex and foreplay. "How is this any different than wanting to be with another man?". My chest was tightening and I felt the urge to run out the room! She has been so supportive and has been saying "if you're gay your gay" all along. She has thought of a break as a good idea from the start. Now here we are totally accepting of what is coming, ready to go on a break in a week or two, and she's seriously backtracking. So confusing! With enough resistance and convincing, I convinced her that this indeed is a step we need to take. She just wanted to make sure it wasn't me trying to create an escape. Just experiencing the extreme panic and resistance to her approach was validating on its own.

So this is happening. He is going to sign the lease. There will be a sliver of something left for us, but likely this is just it. I have to trust that if it wasn't right, I would know by now. So here I go.. next steps!!

OED27x, NeonSocks, RJay and 3 others like this.
  16. leb10

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, big steps searching1! I wish you guys the best as you figure out what normal looks like for a few months. Also, I can only imagine how much that couples session threw you. I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with her approach?

#96 leb10, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Searching1 likes this.
  17. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good for you! I agree that therapists approached seemed sketchy, but maybe she was looking to your reaction. I know when someone brings up things for me "to try" and see if I can go back I get very defensive. I think it's because some really hard emotional work got us to where we are. I don't like that to be messed with, it hasn't been easy and the thought of going back causes angst....even though sometimes I wish I could go back and just not know.

Moonsparkle and Searching1 like this.
  18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's scary but I think these massive steps are going to be really good for you :slight_smile:

Searching1 likes this.
  19. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, guys! I agree her approach was odd. It was so incredibly frustrating to have her try and revert me back several steps when it has taken me so incredibly much to get me where I am. Fortunately I am in a strong place this week so I was able to shut down the comments and not waver. It's crazy we are about here. I don't have any crazy crushes or attractions that are validating things, so I am still scared I've had it wrong somehow, but I trust myself and where I have gotten to.

20. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On an entertaining note.... my friend who I have had a crush on (I think I finally am settling down from) just agreed to go to a lesbian bar with me next week!!! She's stoked to be my wing woman haha. @leb10 you called it!! I told her no dating or anything yet, but may as well see what's out there. I've had zero contact with the LGBTQ community so I'm looking forward to meeting some real live lesbians. :laughing:

junebug99, Leela80, NeonSocks and 4 others like this.