1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Get over it"

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KartoffelWal, Jun 14, 2017.

1. KartoffelWal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to this summer camp and I hate it. Everyone deadnames me (on PURPOSE when they ALL know I'm trans), messes up my hair, makes fun of me, and even today someone threw my food on the ground. I went to my parents about it and asked if I could stop going (it is an optional camp) and they said no. So, I asked them for advice on what to do. Guess what they said?
    "Get over it. Just don't care."
    Don't you think I would?
    That's the only "advice" they'll give me. Anyone have any idea on how to deal with them?

2. Hemospectrum

Hemospectrum Guest

That's awful. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. There are several different types of advice I can give you, but I don't know if that'll really solve this horrible event.
    You could boycott the camp for sure, but that probably would make your parents upset at you. You could also give them a speech about how much it hurts to be bullied for who you are. They know you're trans and are okay with it, right?
    Did you tell the coaches or instructors? They could probably be a big help. If they don't support who you are, then just leave. You can't be in that unsafe environment. Seriously, if they don't support you, just leave. Only things will get worse if you stay.
    You could also fight back. This is probably what I would do. It's not the action of fighting; rather, defending yourself. To elaborate, when someone tries to mess with your hair push them off you. If they blame and threaten you, just shrug and say that it's your hair and you don't want anyone messing with it. I don't know if that would make things worse or not, so go on your gut.

I know you're an amazing person. Don't let what those kids get to you. They're just telling lies because they're insecure about themselves.

3. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not going there when the Authority adults aren't helping you sadly
    seems like the only option. Why do they even touch you hair,
    because it's not short? It's you body and you have the right to
    say no when you don't want to be touched.

And i would print out articles about how high the suicide rate for LGBT teens(?)
    are and leave it at a place in clear view for you parents to read.
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
    Having at least know if you're in junior or high school age will
    make it easier to give you help and advice.

4. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, potato whale :grinning:

I'm sorry you have to go through this. What type of camp is it? Could you bring a book and read? I find reading to be a nice escape from reality. The kids there should have no right to treat you the way they do. After all, how could they know how you're feeling?

If your parents still make you go, aren't there some other adults there that could make a difference?

5. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After talking to camp counselors if they won't help, is there is a library near the camp (or something similar)? If so just leave and go there. Libraries are great because noone ever even talks to you, let alone does anything mean. Noone has the legal right to stop you, even your parents.
    Camps tend to claim Bullshit things like that they will call the police if you leave, but they have no legal right to make you attend and neither do your guardians.

6. KartoffelWal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. All of them are really good :slight_smile: I'll try everything I can. Thank you for your help

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Definetely DON'T print out suicide rates. Never. That would basically scream: "I'm suicidal!" and worrying parents might institutionalize you. If you do that, they are legally allowed to do that. This is not hollywood, and this is no fun.

Apart from that: Talking to the adults there seems to be a good idea, as is fighthing back.

You can give them a lot of stupid names like metal face if they had braces. Even if they don't have braces anymore. Once a metal face, always a metal face. There's a lot of room to play with their stupidity.