1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerneral advise about hair issues

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bernice, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I went to the doctor's today. I have a receding hairline and although I grow my hair long it's hard to keep it brushed forwards throughout the day especially in wind. I'd heard about a drug called Finasteride from someone online who was taking it which is suppose to help (as well as a possible side effect of breast growth which for m would be a bad thing). Anyway I wanted a more medical opinion on it (plus its only available as prescription)

Sadly however the doctor was quite dismissive of it. Saying that it has only a very small success rate. Now that's fair enough. But he also went on to say at my age hair loss should be expected and its all part of testosterone and that's it and even advised me I'd be better off cutting my hair short. Even that the person that said about using it was probably lying. Given that I'd been to the Doctor's previously about gender issues which I thought would have been on file I felt this was a bit dismissive of the whole thing. He might as well just have said man up. Sorry turned into a bit of a rate there.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone here takes it and what success it has or even just some useful information on it. Is there some other drugs out there that helps with hair loss. The doctor mentioned about hair loss being caused by testosterone but it wasn't until I'd left I thought about blockers and wondered if they would help in anyway.

So yeah basically any advice or information welcome. At the moment with my doctor's I feel like I'm just getting the brush off with things so I'd like to go back armed with better knowledge next time.

thanks x

2. smurf

Yeah, I think you really should find a doctor who has experienced with trans clients. The extra barrier will prevent you getting the best care possible.

For the most part, yes cis guys loose their hair faster because of testosterone. I have heard from other trans women that for some people it stops the hair loss, but never heard of it growing back out. Depending on your country going through that process you will need a doctor who knows what they are doing.

As far as growing your hair back, I think its one of those things where most medicine for it is completely fake or only works for some people.

Bernice likes this.
  3. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Smurf. Hmm maybe just being to halt any more loss would be good and maybe something I'd have to research into. Hopefully I can get a bit more thickness to it over time and find away to keep it from blowing backwards.
    As for the doctor thing, yeah that's something else I'll have to look at as there doesn't seem to be much support or information available from my doctors.