1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender question: feminine male vs. non-binary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rdougall1, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

Recently over the past year or so, I have been exploring my gender/gender expression. I feel a lot more comfortable with wearing women’s clothing and I am sensitive towards other people.

Although this might sound funny, I feel this is the best way to encapsulate how I’m feeling. I watched “Mamma Mia” this past weekend and I think it’s one of my favorite movies. The only problem is that there is still a lot of internalized sexism/homophobia that is preventing me from being comfortable saying that it is one of my favorites.

I also really identify with having girls as best friends. I have tried being friends with guys but I feel like there’s too much competition in masculine culture. I also relate to flirting with a guy through doing favors for him rather than being direct and verbal.

I feel like deep down I have a lot more feminine qualities and I think I’m somewhere between male and non-binary. The feminine qualities more have to do with the way I express myself rather than something innate so maybe that’s the difference?

Any tips on how to feel comfortable as I transition to this version of myself would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this will help at all, but I can partially relate to what you say. I identify as male, I feel like a male, and I don't feel like I am female at all. Despite this, I recognize that I have some very stereotypically feminine traits in terms of my friendships, relationships, entertainment preferences, likes, dislikes, and attitudes towards things, I also have dislikes for certain stereotypically masculine pursuits. I am a guy, albeit an atypical one, but at the end of the day, I'm just me.