1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender neutral bathrooms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kai397, May 24, 2016.

1. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have emailed all of my school's administration saying :Hello, my name is Kai hybrid Panda. Now I know what you might be thinking 'another email about gender neutral bathrooms' and that we have no room in the budget for gender neutral but gender neutral bathrooms shouldn't cost that much all you need to do is change the sign on the bathroom. If you're thinking that you don't have time for this or that this shouldn't be a priority, it needs to become a priority. There are many students (trans students, gender-nonconforming students, etc.) who do not feel safe in single-gender bathrooms. Also there are psychological effects such as anxiety and fear of harassment, don't forget that students who feel unsafe in single-gender bathrooms can risk UTIs and other medical problems. Another thing you're probably thinking is why we can't just use the nurse's bathroom, sometimes the class were in is across the school and it's just plain awkward that walk into the nurse's room saying you need to use the bathroom and explaining why you don't just use the other bathroom. Here are a few resource's you should look at:
    Gender Neutral Bathrooms - LGBTQ Center - Vassar College
    and,
    Gender Neutral Bathrooms | UUA.org
    Thank you for reading please get back to me as soon as possible, Have a nice day!

I have not gotten a response from anyone and I want to send another email to them but i'm not sure what this one should say, does anyone have any ideas?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I sent you a message regarding gender neutral bathrooms [at least two weeks ago] and I am writing to ask you what your reply to this is? Again, I state it is important to have gender neutral bathrooms due to the effects single gender bathrooms can have on transgender, non-binary gender and gender non-conforming students. I trust you can make the right decision.

Thank-you,
    [Your name]

Perhaps attach a petition with signatures of people who would either use the gender neutral bathroom, or think it would be a good thing for people to have if they need to use it. If they see a lot of people signing this, then pressure can get them to change. But pressure from a petition is not enough, this and writing are paper and can be thrown away. Perhaps, if you do not get the desired response, hold an assembly on trans and non-binary and the bathroom situations. Getting people to listen means that they can't shut their ears off like they can throw away a piece of paper. Give room for questions at the end.

Hope this helps.

#2 Secrets5, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Panda?

Anyway, have you tried talking to anyone directly? That might help.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah a petition could be good. Also maybe explaining MORE about WHY it is such a problem for transgender students to use single sex bathrooms. You could tell a bit about your own experience or give them statistics and percentages. If they havnt gotten back to you in less than a week than I'd say try to talk to someone directly or send another letter. But I think the more other students you can get to back you up, the more convincing they'll see your argument.