1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender identity terminology question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Owen, May 17, 2011.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If anyone can answer this question for me, I'm sure it's the wise minds of EC. Is there a term for when someone is apathetic towards their gender identity? That is to say, they don't see any reason to identify themselves as male, female, or something else on anything more than a physical level. Someone who isn't uncomfortable with their physical sex, but sees their psychological gender identity as irrelevant. Someone who doesn't care what gender others conceive them as, who would be just as comfortable being referred to as "he" as they would be being referred to as "she". A term like pomosexual, but for gender identity instead. I've asked various friends of mine, and the best most of them could come up with was genderqueer, but that doesn't exactly describe what I'm thinking of.

2. GuardianKitten

"pangender" might be appropriate.

Though I think a (slightly) more common term would be genderfluid. Gender either changse or doesn't matter in the slightest

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Thats a really interesting question. I think it would be rude to call someone it but thats honestly all I can think of.

I looked some information up, as far as most people are concerned there has never been a ruling on how deal with that. Im sure, however, that if you were to talk to any social worker they would say that you should let the person identify themselves at whatever, and respect their decision. If the person were to respond not having any gender, or identity, then they would probably suggest counseling, or gender therapy. I dont know if you could honestly be transgender if you were to not have a label, simply because the idea of transgenderism is that the people are born with the alternative gender mentally, which doesn't match their physical bodies. There are procedures that Physicians and Psychiatrists have to go threw in order for someone to technically be "transgendered" anyways.

#3 TyRawr, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. GuardianKitten

Transgender is simply having a non-binary gender identity or one that doesn't match your sex

You're thinking of the GID diagnosis

5. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard agender being used before.

6. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I get confused sometimes of the differences of transgenderism, and transsexualism. The both delve into gender identity.