1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Identity realization...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jinkies, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It only seems a week ago, when I took a COGIATI test, curious of my results and got "androgyne" both when I was completely tired, and when I was fully awake. Truthfully, this was about 3 weeks ago. Since, an online friend and I have ping-ponged our questions, answers and opinions about each other's gender identity, and what we should do. We even had an experiment that he had done previously to balance my hormones (Most of it was a change in diet). This whole time, I was almost ready to call myself androgyne.

Yesterday, I had an epiphany that lead to thoughts about me being bigendered. After putting pieces together, I found it to make alot more sense, and I even came up with a female name for my girl side.

My question is this: Is it too soon to label myself, even though many questions have been answered? I've heard the social worker I talk to say "take your time", and I've seen posts everywhere on the internet say that, as well. Am I rushing? Am I too eager? or does a 3 week time period still work?

2. Bloom23

Let me just start by saying that the COGIATI test isn't very accurate and that no test is going to supply you with a nice neat label that will fit you 100%, and honestly no label is going to fit you completely everyone is different after all. You just have to figure out for yourself what label fits you best and that always takes some time, just relax and try not to stress over it to much.

3. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

this test isn't that accurate, I took it for the heck of it and it told me I am transsexual and should see a MTF therapist. ironic I like being a man. Not saying this test is wrong but in this case it is

4. climbingivy

Yeah, not to be redundant, but I just checked it out and it seems like it's based around pretty superficial stereotypes. Your gut is probably smarter even though it can take a while to sort out what it's saying.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It did not take me very long to find my gender identity, But I'm lucky enough to have a name that fits with both genders (Ashley). But like others have said, if your basing all of this off of that test, then it is not 100% accurate.

6. seeksanctuary

I think that while the test itself is inaccurate, the test might stimulate conversation and questuioning... and that's good. If you are basing your feelings entirely around the test, you might want to stop and slow down, but if you are basing your feelings around how you feel because the test challenged your view of yourself... I think you're on the right track. Sometimes all it takes is a "wait, what?" moment for you to wake up!

7. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is precisely what happened. I'm not basing my judgements entirely on the test. I knew I wasn't exactly male, but I know I'm not a girly girl, either. I've always been a gender non-conformist, and yes, I know, gender is a "fluid" spectrum, as well as sexual orientation.

My question was: Is there such a thing as coming to a conclusion too early, even though just about all the pieces of the puzzle fit together?

9. Katelynn

I took the COGIATI as well a couple of times & got Probable Transsexual every single time. Not something I needed a test to tell me either. Really, an online test doesn't usually say anything that you don't already know. Plus, online tests like that are really subjective, the questions can be somewhat leading & it depends on how honest you are when answering, so relying on the COGIATI or any other online test is generally a bad idea. It's kind of fun & maybe a good starting point, but by no means rely on it alone. Examine how you feel deep down inside & then start from there. It can be confusing, frustrating & a little bit scary, but it will help you figure things out a bit better, Speaking with a therapist or any other kind of professional, like a counsellor, would be really helpful too. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *facepalm* okay... I did JUST say.. that I'm NOT relying on the COGIATI ALONE!

Second, I do believe I said I've been working with a social worker. If not, well, now it's out and about.

Third! I -Did- say.. that I KNOW the COGIATI is NOT entirely accurate.

So, no. Sorry, but that didn't help. Neither did it answer my question.

11. Bloom23

Yes it is possible but you sound confident about your identity so I would say your conclusion is valid.

12. Chandra

It's not really a matter of whether it's too early, it's a matter of how confident you are that you've come to the right conclusion. If you're pretty certain about it, then feel free to announce it to the world. If you're sort-of-certain-but-maybe-not-really, take some more time to think about it.

Also bear in mind that because gender is on a continuum much like sexuality, your gender identity may fluctuate along that continuum over time. So even if something feels very true for you right now, it might change over time anyway. There is nothing wrong with feeling one way for a while (and telling people about it) and then feeling differently later on.

13. seeksanctuary

No. There isn't. Jumping to conclusions =/= fitting the pieces together quickly.

I was kinda sure for 19 years, and finalized my feelings within 24 hours one day; as long as you're pretty much sure, then that's all that matters. Sometimes it takes years, sometimes it takes minutes.