1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Expression That Doesn't Involve Appearance?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by annag423, Aug 10, 2017.

1. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've been playing around with my hairstyle and whatnot for a few months now, trying to better present as who I am, and I guess I'm at the point where I'm wondering what else do you do that expresses who you are as your preferred gender? This expression can either be for others or just for yourself. And I'm not trying to stereotype activities as more suited to a specific gender. I'm just curious as to what you do to feel more like your preferred gender but which doesn't involve your appearance.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aside from stereotypes, I am drawing a blank... Because I dislike all sports, I don't drink beer and I don't cat call pretty women.

I suppose I hold the door for people, offer to help someone fix things or help move furniture. Which I suppose are generally things associated with male gender, or just being a decent human.

Some of my personality traits are stereotypical; I do tend to talk in short, to the point sentences, I don't generally sugar coat things... I am pretty forward and gruff.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, i think i am bigender and what i want to do is this. I want a hairstyle that feels more like me - be it a shorter, andro haircut or just a shoulder length bob type cut idk. I want to buy a binder and go shopping for boys clothes and buy a door mirror so i can look at myself in the mirror and see what i think. I have yet to try that. Another thing is I've been more lax about what i say, granted i'd love to be completely open. I hold open doors a lot. I tend to be anxious but when i'm not anxious i can be blunt and to the point. All of this is natural, but my being anxious and/or insecure would always hide it for a long time. But i've been in a better place lately, so now all of this can come out to the surface. So i guess my advice is to just go with what draws you in, go with what feels natural or is something you want to try.

4. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hold doors and tried unsuccessfully to help my father lifting up a big tv (LOL). I sometimes try to hold a nonchalant poise, but clumsiness trips me. I make little "gentleman" gestures.
    --
    An idea, in the other-ish direction, could be acting with a subtle kindness of some sort? Smiling more?
    (Actually, smiling more is always a good habit, for your own mood and of the other's)

#4 Crisalide, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use strung beads of the non binary/ intersexed colors ( Lavender-white-olive) as my key fobs

#5 JaimeGaye, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. maverick1

I just wish I was a girl

annag423 likes this.