1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender expression and non accepting mother

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheFSM, Jul 16, 2014.

1. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know what to do and I need your advice.
    So I am not yout to my biological mother. She lives in another country. I am going to see her in the summertime.
    So today I skyped with her and amongst other annoying things we talked about she told me that I shouldn't hide my femininity. And that women dress more masculine because femininity is seen ans something bad in society etc.. etc.. Okay I agree on the society part. But fucking dress how I want to. And I do not dress that way because I feel oppressed I dress that way because it is how I feel comfortable with myself. I actually feel really uncomfortable in public because people stare at me and give me that "is that a boy or a girl look". I am constantly scared of people talking to me about it and of what they think. but that is a whole other issue.
    Anyway she also corrects me when I use male genderd things when I am speaking. She lives in France and french is a bit mire genderd than English. SO I don't even say he , anyway it is hard to explain.. If you understand french sometimes i say stuff like "beau" instead of "belle" when I talk about myself . "beau" is "for men" and "belle is "for women". Anyway she always corrects me when I do this.
    So My initial plan (before today) was maby coming out to her when I am there and just wearing a binder and the clothes I like and not giving a fuck. But I fear that that will not be possible. She is a control freak, when I lived with her she used to annoy me because of my weight. She will most likely ask about it when she notices that I am wearing a binder and she will judge me and annoy me because of the clothes that I wear... I really don't know what to do.....

2. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be you. Talk about it with her and explain how you feel. If you think shell turn on you or something, make a judgement call *shrug*. You know her better than anyone else here... If she's not homo/transfobic I'd go for it, but that's just me.

Best of luck with whatever you decide ^-^

3. stormborn

that's a really crappy situation to be in :frowning2: are you able to bind sort of well with a sports bra? you could say you wear them just because they are comfortable. you could also try explaining to her that you are dressing in the way that makes you the most comfortable/confident.
    a lot of parents, deep down, are just concerned for your well being. so maybe explaining things to her will help :slight_smile:

4. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys! I guess I'll just have to explain it to her. It was just such a shock hearing that form her, she is usually not like that. As A kid I was aloud to wear and play with what I want and I was never very feminine till puberty when I tried to fit in. She is actually a big ally, I was always taught about homosexuality, and I recall watching a documentary with her about little kids that physically transitioned.
    This wannabe feminism of hers really annoys me.
    She disagrees with almost anything I do so I don't know if I should talk to her, but I am going to dress the fucking way I want to...