1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Bending and Compliments

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowRain, May 27, 2021.

1. RainbowRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone!

Today I wore an outfit that, to me at lest, incorporates both masculine and feminine traits in a fancy way. I has given complements and I overheard a couple people at work talk-sing the lyrics, “Who’s that lady? Sexy lady.” I was and sill is amusing to me. Being non-binary I am not sure how I feel about taking it as a compliment or not. I do not usually mind people referring to me as “she” and have not shared my “they/them” pronouns with most people I come in contact with on a regular basis. It is somewhat uncomfortable for me to be looked at as a “sexy lady” so I guess it is good for me to know that now before I am in a serious relationship.

That’s my mini story and my thoughts. Let’s hear your similar story or your thoughts on my experience.

2. Charlie B

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've noticed that this happens a lot with men (or nonbinary peoples I'd assume) that present in a feminine manner. People will assume they are trans, or even if not, will start using feminine pronouns in reference to them. I was just looking at a video from someone I follow on social media, who is a gay man and uses male pronouns, yet wears makeup and women's clothing with a feminine hairstyle. He talked about the awkwardness that ensues when people just naturally start referring to him as "her." People will even ask strange questions of his boyfriend, who is also gay and presents masculine, implying that he might be interested in women.

I've seen the same thing with men who crossdress or present feminine regardless of orientation. It says a lot about how strong gender roles still are in our society. And it's not really surprising tbh, there are spoken and unspoken rules about how men and women are supposed to dress. Masculine-presenting women, by and large, don't deal with the same issue because gender roles are less constrained for women nowadays.

I think as more men and nonbinary individuals continue to push boundaries, people's reactions will change.