1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Sons and Their Mothers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dionysios, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother and I always had a close relationship. I continue to call her every week to keep in touch (weeks or months go by before she hears from my five other brothers). My mother was long in denial about my orientation and tried her best from my youth to raise me as a good little straight boy. Never-the-less, she was very protective of me, knowing that I was picked on and bullied. Perhaps, suspecting that I was gay, it created a special bond between mother and son. Even now she remains protective and actually asked me to contact her if anyone, family or friends, are nasty to me regarding my coming out. I actually laughed when she asked me that, because while I am a grown man, she yet still thinks of me as her little boy.

I've noticed that many of us gay men seem quite close to our mothers. Is that true or is it just my perception? What are your experiences with your own mothers?

2. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum cried when I first came out to her and gave me the cold shoulder for about a week, but then things just went back to normal. We're still very close, at least she doesn't have to worry about the kind of dramas my brother has caused with his past girlfriends.

3. regkmc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interestingly, I don’t feel close to my mother, and feel closer to my father. My parents divorced at an early age, and I always felt that my Mom chose my abusive stepdad consistently over me. I felt muzzled at early age, and began the practice of shutting her out and dissassociating in order to survive.

I’m working through all of that right now. She says she loves me, but it feels conditional, like always. She’s aware of my current sexuality struggle, says she just wants me to be happy.....but I kinda take it as a blowoff. She doesn’t really talk with me about feelings.

I know I really struggle to accept where I am and where I might be, and I don’t know what I want from her....I just feel nothing for her most of the time, despite outward shows of love.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We were pretty close most of my childhood. Emphasis on "were"... now we fluctuate between her refusing to talk to me and her trying to be accepting while still wanting to convert me back to being straight and making me feel bad over it.

5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So glad to hear that your relationship with your mom is good. Your coming out was probably a shock and disappointment but her love for you overcame that.

6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It appears that the divorce and her remarriage to your stepdad truly harmed your relationship. So sorry for you. That happens quite often to children of divorce. Hopefully, as the years pass, you two might heal the bruised relationship.

7. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How odd, to be accepting on one hand and then to be trying to coax you back to the straight life. Poor thing, it sounds like she is conflicted. My mom wanted me to be straight but also encouraged me to be a priest. She wasn't sure what I should be. Perhaps, if you appear happy and content, your mom might settle on finally accepting you without any reservations. I hope so for your sake! *smile*

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m really close to my mom. I’m actually close to both of my parents. I always tell them how much I appreciate them. I always had this fear of losing them young because I knew so many people my age when I was a kid that had lost a parent and it seemed pretty traumatic.

9. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm having a strange kind of experience (but I think mostly due to my own doing).

I'm close to my mum and always have been, but we never spoke about my sexuality for 2 and half years after I came out (although it did coincide with me moving over the other side of the world) - still haven't. She did however seem to know over the last few years that I have been struggling with something. I visited home recently and she brought it up more that she knows something is wrong....I'm just not very good at being honest about these things and would just wave everything off as "fine".

So really I think it's me that's kind of driving a wedge between us. Likely due to shame issues. I can still see in my head, how disappointed she was the night I came out. Hopefully in the future I can change a bit though.

#9 Questions93, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So happy to hear that you have such a warm and tight relationship with both your parents. That's a win for both you and them. I was always worried that I would lose my dad when I was young because of his drinking. Sadly my fears were justified as he passed at 64.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no I’m sorry for your loss! I worry about my dad a lot too because he has had a number of health issues and eats things he shouldn’t be but I just found this site called fooducate. I’m going to try to find some healthier options for him because his doctor even told him he needs to lose weight but it’s hard because he can only eat a handful of things.

12. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend, you really should give your mom another chance. She has had time to let the news about you sink in. There is no more shock or surprise. One never knows what the future holds for any of us.I suspect that you would be heartbroken if something happened to you mom and this relationship never improved. Her love for you may transcend any misgivings about your orientation. Try to have a heart to heart with her. You may be surprised about how receptive she may be.*smile*

13. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck my friend. I trust that you have your father around a long, long time. He is blessed to have such a loving and caring son! *smile*

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! :slight_smile:

15. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know. You couldn't be any more right. :slight_smile: Obviously easier said than done haha but hopefully soon I will gather up the courage and make that call. Over the last while I have always used living overseas as an excuse, "no point in telling family that things aren't as great as I make them out to be, because they will just worry that they are to far away to do anything anyway" .....but I'm starting to realise that I think they are worrying anyway, particularly my mum.

16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just shocked that my dad and brother reacted more positively than my mum and sister, I was really worried that I was going to get the shit kicked out of me or at least get shouted and sworn at, but they were totally calm and supportive to me, while the women were a bit more standoffish about it. I think maybe the men in my family were respecting me for becoming my own man, or something.

17. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sorry to hear that your mom's reaction was so hostile. It must have been a terrible moment. At least your father and brother were calmer and more supportive.

18. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so glad to hear that you are considering reaching out to your mom. Holding in resentment or anger isn't good for your spirits or health. I suspect her reaction will be must more positive and supportive than she was in the past. Good luck my friend.

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was quite a bit closer with my Father growing up but became really quite close with my Mother as an adult--well, close considering that I lived half a country away. My parents and my husband and I traveled together somewhat frequently. The four of us made for a really good little traveling group! Now that they're gone we definitely miss them, but at least we have a lot of fun memories.

#19 OGS, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  20. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you all had some wonderful, quality time. The warm memories you have of your parents keep them alive in your heart my friend. So happy for you! *smile*