1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay man wins Supreme Court case on equal pension rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by doinitagain, Jul 12, 2017.

1. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the BBC:
    A gay man has won a landmark ruling which will give his husband the same pension rights as a wife would receive.

The Supreme Court unanimously ruled that if John Walker, 66, dies, his husband is entitled to a spouse's pension, provided they remain married.

The ex-cavalry officer said it would drag the government "into the 21st century", while human rights group Liberty said "thousands" could benefit.

A government spokesman said it would review the implications of the ruling.

BBC legal affairs correspondent Clive Coleman said the ruling will have "a dramatic effect on the entitlement of thousands of civil partners and spouses in same sex marriages".

They will now enjoy the same pension rights and entitlements as spouses in a heterosexual marriage, our correspondent added.

'Absurd injustice'
    Mr Walker took legal action as he wanted to ensure that - should he die first - his husband would receive an adequate pension.

The ruling means his husband, who is in his 50s, will now be entitled to a spousal pension of about £45,000 a year, rather than around £1,000 a year.

Mr Walker said it was "to our government's great shame that it has taken so many years, huge amounts of taxpayers' money and the UK's highest court to drag them into the 21st Century".
    "In the years since we started this legal challenge, how many people have spent their final days uncertain about whether their loved one would be looked after?"

He added: "Finally this absurd injustice has been consigned to the history books and my husband and I can now get on with enjoying the rest of our lives together."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40580596

2. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He only won this because of European Union law. Lets hope that, when the United Kingdom leaves the European Union, that this law and many of the other LGBT laws remain and that the government of the day doesnt decide to backtrack on LGBT rights.

God help us all.

#2 Blast, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly how it should be. I'm so happy for this guy, his husband, and every other same sex couple this will undoubtedly help.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was so pleased to hear this ruling. I am investing more heavily into my pension now I am over 40 and it's important that my expressed wishes are honoured. The UK government has said it will copy all EU legislation into domestic law, so this should stand now.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm surprised this wasn't already the normal procedure there. Good for the court to make the right ruling!

If this was in the US the decision would be split 5-4, anyone's guess which side would prevail.

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought this would be a given after it was legalized. I'm really surprised that it wasn't. What other spousal rights don't gay couples have in the UK?