1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay loneliness? after graduating?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by givenchy, Feb 11, 2019.

1. givenchy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently graduated from highschool and im finding it hard to adjust to life after school, especially not seeing my friends everyday. i feel like it is beginning to affect my mental health a little bit. at school i was around people who i loved and who accepted me and knew my truth, but at home and work im forced into being someone im not out of fear for being rejected and... well abused basically. and to top this all off, my best friend (who is also lgbtq+) moved away to another city, so i will rarely see him. i just feel so alone. I dont know if it is just because i haven't gotten used to being out of school or if im truely lonely. i want to make more friends but its so hard, especially when you only go to work and back home. i dont know what to do, i really want to meet some new lgbtq+ friends but dont know where to even begin? i just want some more friends who get it.
    i dont know if anyone has been through this or similar but i kind of just needed to put this somewhere other than my own head.

2. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm gonna assume you mean high school rather than university (some people mean that when they say school) but yes, changes are difficult to adjust to. A few years ago I went back to live with my parents after having gone to university in another city for four years, so you can imagine what that felt like. I love my parents and grew closer to them but it was still rather suffocating. It was also hard to make friends. I have had to learn new ways to make friends - and the transition from school to 'not school' is similar.

Do you feel your parents will be abusive if you come out? I don't know what to suggest but welcome to this thread and know that you deserve love, acceptance and solidarity xxxx

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is an ongoing process, as you move into new surroundings and meet new people. And that can be stressful. Going to gay events or clubs to be around people who assume you are gay helps a lot. You might also meet new friends.