1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Jokes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SnixxJuice, Jul 10, 2016.

1. sugarvenom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think ANY gay joke, said by a gay person, around gay people, is therapeutic, perfectly acceptable, and usually amusing.

2. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess the takeaway from that is that context, timing, and audience have to be considered.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think it's important to respect your company, but if people are fine with it, then fine, gay jokes can be a bit funny sometimes, I think.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that any joke is valid, as long as you are in the appropriate environment and as long as it isn't intentionally offensive.

For instance, i love South Park, and i don't see any problem with the jokes on the show, because they don't intend to offend someone. Cartman, for example, is extremelly offensive if taken out of context. However, i think it is clear that the character is used as a critic to the real prejudices in our society.

Around my friends, i'm totally ok with gay jokes, as we are constantly poking and laughing at each other. And that's fine, because i know that they aren't serious. However, when someone random makes a gay joke in front of me, i wouldn't be comfortable.

In resume: It depends on the context and the reason of the joke. If it is just a joke, then it is fine. If it has the intention to offend someone for real, then it is problematic.

5. n3ko

I don't believe in censorship of humour. if it is funny I will laugh or repeat it in the appropriate place (which I struggle to figure out because I'm autistic). I don't find anything funny if it is separatist or has some other hateful motivation (not including satire).

6. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Being a killjoy I don't really make them...