1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay friend feeling out of place.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Canterpiece, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, my peer group is predominately gay and bi women, plus a couple of straight men. However, there is a gay man and he's been feeling a little out of place lately. I will say that he's much more in the closet than I am. However, there was an incident where a male straight friend did not know that he was not out and mentioned it casually in passing to the others.

The group has not mentioned it since, and he's been worrying about it. He's been asking me if I think that they think it was a joke (he's been out to me for a while). Which, I don't know the answer to, it's possible.

I understand his anxiety. He worries that the guys think that it was a joke and that if they knew the truth they might tease him or think he has crushes on them and get uncomfortable. He dislikes the group sometimes since he feels uncomfortable when the guys are talking about women.

Further, he also wonders if the guys think we're dating. Which is possible, although I do have a lesbian flag in a photo of me on an online server we're all in together and I have talked openly about women I find attractive and binge-watching Wynonna Earp. It's possible they could be oblivious to this and think we're dating...but you'd have to be quite oblivious for that.

I can understand him feeling out of place, we do talk about other things besides attractive women of course but there aren't any other gay men in the group and he wants to make some male gay or bi friends. Unfortunately, I don't know any that he would get on with. He's a fairly reserved guy and the few bi guys that I know are quite spontaneous and loud.

Frankly I don't know what to suggest to him. I don't want to pressure him to come out, but I do wish I could help in some way with finding more gay friends.