1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games that mean a lot to you/changed your life

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shallow waters, Dec 5, 2018.

1. 0to21

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Animal Crossing Wild World (I got rid of my gaming stuff before the newer Animal Crossing games came out,) MySims/MySims Kingdom and Sims 2 PC + DS. I particularly miss Sims 2 on DS because of how weird it was.

I wouldn't say they "changed my life", but they were just ways to escape and become someone else. It's cheesy, but I could be in a kinder, more innocent world where I wasn't treated differently, where I felt capable and I could simply have fun in peace.

#21 0to21, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. D Artagnan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Majora's Mask is the bane of my existence. Haven't given up after all these years and I absolutely refuse to use a walkthrough.

Legend of Zelda has been a huge part of my life. Eventually I would like to get a triforce tattoo.

3. Ten

Ten

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think The Sims 3 was the first LGBT-friendly game that I played. When I went through a period of depression a few years ago I worked through it by making gay Sims and arranging dates, weddings, etc. It made me feel better. Homophobia doesn’t exist in the Sim world.

4. StSteve

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Dragon Age series. Yes, even DA2 and especially Origins.

I played them all beginning to end maybe 6-7 times.

I loved the interwoven story lines and your decisions from one game playing into the next. A real masterpiece even with it's flaws and repetition in locale (DA2).

5. Loves books

Crash Team Racing was a game I played with my brother. He was always Crash and I was always Coco.I recently bought the new game for the switch. How ripper roo didn’t give my nightmares as a kid I don’t know. I’m not great at it but I’m not terrible. Still trying to figure out how my brother did better at seven than I can do at 27. It’s great for nostalgia but my younger sister and cousins can’t remember a time when between us we only had PlayStation and had no idea that Mario kart even existed. Now I have an Xbox a wii U and a switch. The wii U is obsolete and the Xbox is a DVD player and I use my switch in handheld mode only.

6. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess Oblivion. When I was in high school I was able to use it as escapism. I used to fantasize about being able to cast invisibility over myself, and all the trouble it would have saved me from, especially back then. My favorite quests were the Dark Brotherhood ones. There was something about being in a death worshiping cult assassination guild that made me feel better.
    Skyrim didn't come out until I started college, and it lagged horribly on my computer. But I still got a lot out of it. If Oblivion was my escapism for my teen years, then I guess Skyrim was for my early twenties. This year I finally got a PS4, and Skyrim is way better on it, but I started playing mass effect and fallout too.
    It kind of scares me how old Oblivion is, but it plays beautifully on my laptop, which is pretty old at this point, so from time to time, I still log back in to Cyrodiil for old times sakes.

7. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Combat
    Space Raiders
    Enduro Racer
    Double Dragon
    Phoenix
    Manic Miner
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    X Wing
    Operation Stealth
    Xenon 2 Megablast
    Millenium 2.2
    Resident Evil
    Final Fantasy VII
    Kung Fu Kaos
    Jade Empire
    KOTOR
    Morrowind
    Destiny
    RDR2/RDO

8. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yes, there are a few ones that really changed my life. My first console was the original xbox, which my parents bought me back then in christmas 2003. I remember back in the day it included Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2002) by Lucas Arts and Halo: Combat evolved. Those were my first games I played on a console and they were great and fun and I'm really looking forward to playing Star Wars again. Whereas, Sometimes I'll play Halo on my xbox 360, since as many of you xbox 360 owners know, a high-definition remake with the name of Halo: Anniversary was released for xbox 360 on the 10th anniversary of the original game's launch.

Other games I got to play were MechAssault, Grabbed by the Ghoulies by Rare, Brute Force, Voodoo Vince, Spider-Man 2, Fuzion Frenzy, Star Wars KOTOR 1&2 and the list goes on. This console was the only thing that kept me entertained/distracted, because at the time I was really going through hard times in middle school such as bullying because people there thought I was gay and in addition to this, I had almost no friends to talk to. Actually, I was very unpopular during most of my teenage years, but getting back to the original topic. In fact, I like most of the games for the original xbox but unfortunately I couldn't afford many great games, as my parents were going through economical issues and I still didn't work and/or earn money due to the fact that I was about 11, 12 or maybe 13 years old in those times. But yeah, to be honest, the original xbox was a great console that still brings back a lot of good memories and nostalgia. I really miss those times, which were early 2000s.

Nowadays I play on my xbox 360, which is a great console with plenty of amazing titles I haven't gotten to play yet. I play it whenever I'm feeling anxious and/or depressed.

#28 thexboxguy, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  9. BroRhap14

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes!!! Mass Effect is the best. Shoulda known I was queer from my Shepards' stories back then, too, bahahahahaha

10. BroRhap14

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My earliest games were Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3, and Sonic 2, in that order for the Sega Genesis back in the good ol' 1990s. I used to play them with my dad when it was just us in the old apartment before his hands got too bad with arthritis. Great memories there. When we moved, I got an OG Playstation and Spyro the Dragon became my new gaming buddy and the first video game I ever beat by myself. Spyro 2 and 3 followed (the mini games, especially skateboardin' in 3 were amazing!). Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, Underground, and Underground 2 were my next gaming obsessions. Also helped introduce me to the wonders of punk rock and old skool rap and hone my interest in skateboarding. I also loved that I could be a guy with cool hair and tattoos, lol. Shoulda known.

Fallout 3 was my first first-person shooter and my first real gaming addiction. I loved how I could make world-changing decisions and explore literally everywhere. (All the abandoned stuff was awesome, too. Maybe where my taste in urban exploration comes from?). The original Mass Effect trilogy was the best game series of my early 20s for similar reasons. Plus the characters and story were so immersive-- felt like my squad members in game were almost homies in real life.

11. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say Bioshock and Don't Starve got me hooked on gaming as a whole. I'd always been a huge fan and loved them (played my DS games until the cartridges couldn't be read anymore), but never really knew about more indie games until I happened upon Don't Starve.

I then widened my horizons even more and delved into something that honestly scared me, Bioshock. I'd seen the posters for the sequel in Toys R Us when I was little, and was always scared but a little fascinated. I wanted to get past my fear to see if I enjoyed it, and I absolutely loved the game. I felt like it was so much more than just an FPS, it was artistic, intense, dramatic, and beautiful in a strange, twisted kind of way. And that definitely sealed my fate of wanting to become a game developer.

Of course, I have to give a nod to games like Pokemon Colosseum, Lego Star Wars, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Red Rescue Team babey), Super Mario Galaxy, and My Disney Kitchen (if you have not played this one do yourself a favor and do it it's LIT) for being the games my friends/sister and I would sit around and play for hours and hours. If it wasn't for those games and those folks, I don't think I would have played anything past age seven.

12. Feli

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In a personal level, there are three:

1. Pokémon (yes, I know it might be something common), because it helped to get through a time where I was really depressed, and I had no friends. Even today I still play it constantly and I’m a big fan of it.

2. Professor Layton series. The protagonist is the kind of person I’ve always wanted to be, and I’ll always feel like the story of Professor Hershel Layton suits with mine in certain aspects. Besides, solving puzzles is something I’ve always enjoyed, and this series was just what I needed.

3. To the Moon. As an autistic person, I had a rough time understanding myself and getting through it when I was younger. A lot of times I fought against it or even thought that I wasn't a ''good aspie''. And then, I found out about this game who showed two different types of girls with Asperger's Syndrome. It was amazing to me. I cried with the ending and I still have a deep place on my heart for it.

13. BroRhap14

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ooh I'll have to check out "Don't Starve". Bioshock is amazing. It's another great game I enjoyed in my late teens. So much story, so immersive, such beautiful, dilapidated environments and interesting characters.

14. AutismCay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doom it was part of my childhood.

15. fairyboy64

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't thank Pokémon Emerald enough for being my elementary school conversation starter. Everyone played it right around the same time that I got it... so I was finally in the loop about something! And I was really good at it, too. Still am- I even played competitively for a while!

But the game that got me through the tough times was Golden Sun. When I was feeling at my worst about myself and how to fit in, I had Golden Sun to keep me company when there was nobody. It was a game I could play anywhere, by myself, whenever I want, exploring a magical microcosm full of little puzzles to solve. And it wasn't so much the game's story that makes it so special to me. It's that the game was there for me in my hardest times, and never really disappointed when it came to gameplay. (I never beat it though. My emulator stopped functioning...)

16. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What do you mean with "the bane of my existence"??? I´m right in that you mean it in a positive way?

I was not able to get all mask´s without a guide/walkthrough but you thankfully only need all to get the last mask in the game.
    And in some spots in the stone tower temple it was abit confusing in the secound round as a kid but
    that 1 jump, like with the horse race, is tricky with the old N64 controller. :dizzy_face:

So i am curious what game is importen or changed your life? :sunglasses:

17. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Monument valley 2
    Phenomenal artwork. How the developers came up with such a creative map is beyond me.

Their background music is so good, I use it to concentrate when I'm not feeling well.

18. Zombi3

War Craft 3 The Frozen Throne.

It meant a lot to me because I made friends, although I have no contact with now. But it was a safe haven for me when I was young, as I rarely interacted with others. It was the place for me to enjoy myself. I played only the custom made games. It introduced me to Dota I never played the actual Dota game, but later on and currently I play League Of Legends. There so many types of different games on there. I never got bored of it, I only stop playing until I too tired to play.

Zelda Ocarina Of TIme.

FIrst time i played it without anyone else's influence. I'm sure like the other versions, it was magical. The music; the scenery.. It made me feel so mellow. Although I got so pee'd of with the horse in the farm.. I never finished the game.

19. Loves books

I think Mario Kart had a bit of an impact on me. I saw it played on the react channel and bought an Xbox 360. Two years later I bought a wii U. A year after that I bought the Nintendo Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. To be honest though I’ve bought every Pokémon game released for the switch and the Lets Go games brought me back and my childhood when I used to watch the first series of Pokemon. I wasn’t in to games until I hit 20. I also have two copies of the same game on two different devices. My wii U is never used and my Xbox is now my DVD player.

20. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Mass Effect series. I enjoyed it so much and really felt like it was taking me to a whole new universe (except the part where it wasn't). I had so much replay factor from it.