1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gaining weight in your 20s

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FuelsMySong, Mar 27, 2017.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    so, I had a conversation with my doctor and she said most people gain weight in their 20s. i agree because I gained weight and i always thought it was my medication but I think being in my 20s also affected it. I have a friend who is also in her 20s and she has gained weight as well and she's not on medication. However, I was instagram stalking Eminem's daughter who is the same age as me and she still looks thin as well as other celebrities like GiGi hadid and Kendall Jenner who are just as thin as they were when they were teenagers.zendaya is another example of someone who still looks as thin as she was in her teenage years. then you have people who actually lost weight in their 20s like hilary duff and carrie underwood. i don't get it, is there something about child stars that makes them immune to the weight gain period of your 20s? is it the personal trainers? genetics? my parents were both really thin in their 20s so i don't know about the genetics argument. i know celebrities are an impossible standard and we should not compare ourselves to them but I can't help but think how come "regular people' like my friend and I gain weight in their 20s and don't have as fast of a metabolism as we did when we were teenagers but celebrities still manage to be thin well into their 20s even without photoshop (instagram and papparazi photos show they're thin without photoshop). why is it this way?

2. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no celebrity and I have hovered around the same weight since I was 16.. atleast until recently .. since now I weigh 15 pounds less.. I'm 28. My point is that every one is different. Everyone's body is different... If weight is a concern, just try to stay healthy, eat well and exercise.

#2 PrinceVegeta, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. Really

Well, for one thing, you don't have people flitting around you taking care of all your needs. Making your food, finding you personal trainers, etc. And if they're doing drugs, that can affect things.

Don't compare yourself to them. It really is like apples and oranges. Completely different.

If you want to lose some weight, add some walking into your daily routine. Or take up something fun which gets you out and about. Cycling or photography walks or... anything! :slight_smile:

Take a cooking class and learn how to make good food. You will value it more and you'll be less likely to eat crappy stuff, if that's an issue with you. :astonished:

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Jep it is. It's called drugs. Partying burns a hell of a lot calories. Plus personal trainer. Plus photoshop.

But all this don't do as celebrities do is, in my opinion a bunch of bullshit to keep people mediocre. Old friend of mine, that girl is an artist with makeup. Even looks more natural than these hollywood puppets yet she's stunning. And she had no education. All learned herself. Also there's that fitness people on instagram. Not all celebs, I guarantee you. Simple people like you and me who decided to read a book or two and with the kneoledge they hit the gym and became beasts.

Think: You can have all you want. But you gotta go get it, there's no dream delivery.

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They've got money to burn on people who can feed them, and tell what, when, and how much to exercise. You shouldn't really compare yourself to them, they're in a completely different category than the rest of us.

The average person has a job, children, family, or other problems, which means less time for physical activities and often bad eating habits. The end result is increased weight.

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people do gain some weight as they get older. However, there are always exceptions.

Actors and the like live in a fake bubble, not reality. I think that media has a really bad influence on people. Not that we don't all enjoy our favorite programs on the telly...

It is just that by constantly having these people in our view, we naturally start comparing ourselves to them because we start to think it is the norm. It isn't.

If you've gained some weight, it isn't the end of the world. Power walking is a great way to start burning some calories.

Sebby45

P.S. And meds can make you gain weight, even if your friend said she gained weight and she wasn't on meds. Doesn't correlate. Some meds are bad at that, so monitor it closely, so you can tell your doctor if you need to.

7. Amal

I don't know about the genetics in my case. But I am 21, and I have problems keeping my weight. I am too skinny. Sometimes it is suggested that I am anorexic, but I can guarantee you that I am not. I am eating healthy, I do not drink or use drugs. What is genetical? What is not?

I don't know about you, but it's strange and amazing, and can be annoying too.

I honestly wish to gain weight, and then there are people here who are a little jealous because they would like to be the way I am, while I would like to be able to gain weight the way they do.

So I have decided to shrug it all off, and do my own thing, eat my food, do what I do and as long as I am healthy, I'm good.

8. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm 26, 6'1", and weigh fluctuate between 110 & 115 pounds, but it's pretty intentional on my part. I weigh less than I did in high school, but I've always been underweight and it's always what I've felt comfortable as. I have been accused of being anorexic from people just by looking at me, but I'm not since I eat a normal amount of food, but I make sure I don't overconsume. I'd say I have emotional problems when it comes to weight, but I don't have an eating disorder.

Most people do gain weight in their twenties, and that's perfectly normal to a certain extent. Others gain too much due to unhealthy habits.

#8 bluesunlight, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017