1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated with dating

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Creativemind, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been using dating sites for 9 years now, and yet I still have never gotten a date or a relationship during this time.

It's very frustrating. Nobody ever messages me, and if I message first, they don't respond. If I get lucky and get a response, it fizzles out after a while. Or i'll meet someone who seems cool, but lives in a different state or country. There is nobody in my area it seems like as it seems like I have exhausted every option on every site. I've tried changing pics and profile information, but nothing seems to help.

I'm sure sure how else I can meet people....at this point in time I am starting to get lonely and tired of still being a kissless/dateless virgin at my age.

Anyone can vent or share experiences if they want to as well.

#1 Creativemind, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Resistant

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does it have to deal with your looks or something?

3. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've tried dating sites a couple of times and managed to get a date once that way. It quickly fizzled out because we found that we weren't as compatible as the site's mechanics claimed. After that I quickly lost interest with them because, honestly, it felt like I was on an online shopping site shopping for guys. It just felt artificial to me. Since then I've realized that I'd much rather find a partner the old fashioned way, through meeting people in everyday life and getting to know them face to face.

I know other people have had more success with dating sites, but I feel they're just not for me.

#3 Elendil, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. Resistant

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah I met some really crappy people on dating sites but eventually I met a great guy on a site I didn't even expect. If you are socially isolated then dating sites are one of your sources sadly... other social network sites today suck so much to meet new people.

5. Resistant

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey why wont you open a thread here that youre looking for someone?

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't think I look that bad. I am a bit overweight (but not obese either), though I have a nice face and use my best pictures. Even if weight were an issue, there are hundreds of other overweight women on these sites (and who say it's not an issue for them, being in the same situation), but they don't reply either. I just wonder if it attracts shallow people or something?

I am not socially isolated, you just can't meet gay people in real life unless it's a gay bar (which there are zero toward my area, and if there were...i'd be afraid of it being a hook up zone) or an LGBT meet up group. I go to community college and they have LGBT groups, but 99% of the students are 18-19 years old. I am way above that age group and do not want to face social stigma by approaching them.

#6 Creativemind, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. Resistant

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh damn then. Have you thought of trying to go for a very feminine guy?

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh ....no. I'm not attracted to men.

9. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had to chuckle a bit at the last suggestion you received @Creativemind, but sorry to hear that you are finding yourself a bit depressed by the reality of the online dating world. Have you looked at Facebook groups or at joining some kind of feminist groups/meet up (lots of queer women in their 20's usually)? or a more radical thing such as moving to the city? It sucks but realistically there are very few lesbians around and moving to a bigger city would increase your chances of meeting someone, possibly even without the need of an app so I would give it some thought if your situation allows. Good luck!

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the suggestion! I actually planned to move out of state in about two years when I have taken care of everything here, so hopefully that will not be too late to find someone :slight_smile:

11. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I’d honestly say to not give up. I too was on and off dating sites for 3 years and either the convo fizzled, or they weren’t who I thought they were when I met them in person, or it was just a one and done.

I would get extremely discouraged about my lack of success in finding someone, but somehow I got pulled back in, and eventually started to meet people worth my time. It’s just a process of sorting through those who are worthy of your time and dropping those who aren’t. Don’t take anything personally and if you have the patience, you’ll find someone eventually.

12. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve only just started with dating sites etc and I thought I lived in a big ish city but there aren’t many women near me that are on these sites and who wants to be travelling for hours to meet someone. Anyway I will put some effort in but am not very hopefull. I’m not a clubbing person but will probably have to try this. Our town is very student focused so any groups etc are for students which eventhough I don’t look my age I would feel like the odd one out. How about trying some new hobbies or finding day or weekend classes for things that you are interested in? Part Time or weekend job whilst you are studying?

13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good idea. I think a job would help. I am currently unemployed and interested in work, though I was rejected in all of the applications I filled out recently....kind of a bummer.

My college also has clubs for mature students (meaning over 25, and yes I am over 25) for those of us who want friends/help, but can't fit in with 18 year olds. I have gone once, but was a bit shy to engage in conversation. I may consider going more. Most of these people are probably straight, but I guess you never know who you might meet.

14. Percy15

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda feel like I'm in the same boat as you because I've exhausted all the options in my immediate vicinity for dating, and I still haven't gotten more than a first date. 90% of my friends are guys, and I'm not romantically attracted to them, and the few girls who are my friends are either straight, lesbian, incompatible etc. I don't even know who I'm supposed to date because I'm nonbinary, but that's not really your issue.
    What I'd suggest is, if you have friends who are more socially connected or connected to other groups, then maybe ask them for set-ups because there are a lot of people looking to be in relationships, and if your friends can connect you to one, then that might go somewhere.

15. kayaz

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the struggle. I'm an ace so I'm not looking for the sexual component, so not only is it a struggle to find someone who won't demand a physical relationship, but is willing to date a gullible queer enby such as myself. I'm also quoiromantic so i can't tell if something is romantic or platonic and it's so annoying as heck. I've also got anxiety with makes talking to people harder. It's just great.

16. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What sort of jobs have you applied for? I worked on a checkout at a supermarket for 18mths and surprising enjoyed it and you meet lots of people. Also coffee shops, cafes etc. Retail type shops etc. Yeah I would try that club again as you never know and it would be good to meet other college people nearer your age.

17. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear the rest of you are having a hard time. I can't imagine how much worse it is for ace and NB people.

I applied for a retail like job, but I may just have to search out more.

18. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm...sort of update? I ended up getting quite a few replies, but there have been pros and cons with this. Someone who messaged me lived in a different state, so nothing can come out of it. She wants to send pics back and forth, but I don't know if I feel 100% comfortable with this especially as nothing can really happen.

I got messages from people sort of close, but no one has suggested meeting up....they just want to message back and forth, which feels like a waste of time to me. I had taken the advice someone gave me a long time ago and suggest it as soon as possible- but when I did that, I stopped getting replies (some of these have been people I have been messaging for days too). I am a bit cautious about suggesting meet ups now, but the whole replying back and forth is just....meh.

So I guess I sort of got more luck, but not really. Online dating continues to be frustrating, lol.

19. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are these dating sites people or people off the forum? I think I would be the same but would maybe chat a bit longer than a few days as people are nervous etc but then you don’t want to tell them your life story either and you want to see if you have a connection in real life so want to meet up early on. I think some of the bios I read said they want to actually meet which I thought was a given but maybe some just want to chat?

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can get what you mean about being nervous, as sometimes it can be unsafe to meet too. I guess the only problem I have is that if we chat for too long, the conversation fizzles out. Also, I'm the only one who puts any effort into talking after while. I can ask them a million questions, and after a few days, I just get one word replies.