1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreseeing Problems with Childhood Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Love4Ever, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, basically I have been close friends with this girl for a very long time. She is my longest lasting friendship and even though we have really grown apart in recent years due to living very different lives she is the only friend who I have so much history with. Her family are extremely conservative and religious christians, she goes to a christian college etc. We don't see eye to eye on many things but we have been friends since we were little kids because at one point her family was not quite so strict as they are now. The problem is, she has no idea I'm bisexual, and if she knew I was I have no idea if she would want to be friends with me anymore. She knows that we disagree on a lot of things and she knows how I feel about gay rights, etc. but I don't know how she would take it if she found out that I am actually queer myself. I am not sure if her parents would make her not see me anymore, or if she would no longer want anything to do with me. I knew this day would come where we would probably end up parting ways forever because we are just too dissimilar, but the idea of her hating me is obviously a sad thing. I haven't said anything but I post on social media supportive things, and when I get a girlfriend I will be posting more stuff about my orientation specifically probably and possibly us doing things together. I refuse to hide and I want to have a "couple" relationship like everyone else, complete with cute pictures and stuff like that. So she will find out, if not from me from simply following my social media at some point. It's sad though because she is the only friend I still have from my childhood.

#1 Love4Ever, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think since you're still friends even though you disagree on things is a good sign that she'll accept you. Hopefully she has become more accepting being at college and being exposed to life more.

Love4Ever likes this.
  3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope so. But I'm not too hopeful because she goes to a Bible college and they have a very literal, strict interpretations of the Bible, so they teach that anyone who isn't straight is a sinner. I hope she doesn't agree with that but I know her family expects her to.

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess also it makes me sad that when we were kids we talked about going to each other's weddings. I'm not sure I want to get married anymore, but if I did, there is a change It would be to a woman, and even if I didn't I will still have a relationship with one at some point I'm sure. And she might not want me to go to her wedding, or her church friends,( because all of her other friends are of her religion), or her family, would not one me there and she'd feel she couldn't invite me because of them. I always wanted to go to her wedding and to think I might be excluded because I am not straight is just downright depressing. Heck, I wouldn't even be allowed to bring my girlfriend as a date to her wedding if I went. How unfair is that? If I ever got married, which I'm not sure I will, and she even came, I wouldn't dream of telling her who she could bring. I just hate the double standards. I always have been respectful to her, but I know the same respect would not be extended to me.

#4 Love4Ever, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018