1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flight question,I really need some help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by hristijantod, Oct 19, 2015.

1. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I meant a visa for a country that isn't the US. Perhaps they have different restrictions and so that you would meet? Are there any countries you can get to without a visa?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is rather getting confusing because when you started talking about wanting to leave Macedonia in a previous thread you kept referring to the UNHCR, and other refugee organisations that you tried contacting, while also saying that you have friends in the United States, that you met online, and they were willing to help you to come to the United States.

Seeking asylum as an asylum seeker (based on race, nationality, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation and discrimination) and coming to the US as a refugee are two different things. And I think this is where part of the confusion came in as I remembered the first discussion we had on claiming refugee status where I mentioned to you the process for how one can claim refugee status, because then you would need to have a referral to the US Refugee Admission Program.

Yes, as an asylum seeker, you can claim asylum once you are arriving at an airport in the United States, or are already in the United States, based on sexual orientation and the fear of being persecuted but you must also prove a number of things when you make that claim. Once you submit your application, a judge will review your application then.

Once you apply for Asylum however, you cannot apply for the permission to seek and obtain employment at the same time. In fact, it looks like you can only do so, after five months or if no decision has been made on your application. Having said that though, it looks like that most applicants are not given the permission to work.

Knowing the process for the United States now, and the fact that you would need a visa to be able to board a plane bound for the US, and before a ticket is bought, you need to take the initiative and make sure that you have all of the information you need in order to be able to board the plane in the first place.

If you decide to apply for asylum in a country, you need to understand the process of applying and what you can do while waiting for the application to be processed. Have you looked into the legal matter(s) surrounding claiming asylum in another country, and that country's process and application procedures?

Have you looked into what supports are available, if you do have to wait for the application to be processed and for example cannot work?

3. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I havent actually,that is why I asked for information regarding the surrounding countries and their procedures.I havent looked into what supports are available but it must be better then what I am living through at the moment :/

I am really doubtfull right now,I have no idea what to do,I still want to go to another country and claim asylum,but I have no idea what will happen once I arrive and if the procedure does take a long time,that will be really bad for me.

I am really confused right now and have no idea what to do,does anyone have information or advice on what will the best move for me be?

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you've been considering Belgium, here is what I found about the procedure for someone from Macedonia who want to seek asylum in Belgium. ( It comes from a French website so I had it translated but if it's unclear I can explain it to you in clearer words since French is my native language. This is the process of Belgium only, you'll have to search for the process of other countries if you are interested in other countries than the one of Belgium.)

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

Now I am going to explain to you the different step of the procedure so you know what to expect

#64 Lin1, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for all the usefull advice and the links you have provided me so far,this really helped me a lot.I will still wait on Mirko to see what his advice on my case will be so I can inform my friends,as he seems to have a lot of insights on things and has actually helped me a lot realise some things.

Thank you Lining and Mirko for the contribution so far!

6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no worries, so at the end what will you do ? :slight_smile:

7. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm pretty sure when you go through the check in and they scan your passport, its to see if you qualify to get into that country/have a visa.

8. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As of now the safest option for me is to go towards Belgium and fight for my right.

I do not want to risk it and going for the assigned NY flight as I fear I might not be able to board the plane from the Norwegian airline that goes to NY,but I do know that if I am able to get to the NY gates I have people that will be willing to fight and support my asylum case and 1 of the US citizen can be a witness as 1 month ago he heard the domestic violence when I was speaking to him via skype.

So now I can chance it and try to get to NY,if it comes to worse I can claim asylum in Gothenburg(Sweden) because that is where my flight from my country stops and then after Sweden it goes to NY and I can only hope that the officers who do the checkins take pity on me and let me board towards NY,but I dont think thats going to happen and I think I will be forced to claim asylum in Sweden.

And thanks to @Linings help so far,I am assured that Belgium is a safe country for me to claim asylum,I am still undecided as I kind of want to chance it and maybe get a chance to be with my friends,but on the other hand Belgium is really accepting towards LGBT and I think that alone will help my asylum case.I think this is also what Mirko was trying to tell me,not to get another ticket as if worse come to worse I can claim asylum in Sweden instead of making my friends buy 2 tickets for me even though they dont mind as long as I am safe(couldnt pursue them to change their minds).

#68 hristijantod, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  9. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I am pretty sure that airlines will check that you have a Visa and a return ticket at your departure aiport so in Macedonia.

I have travelled to America various time as well as to other countries where visas where needed (such as Australia) and they've always checked that I had a visa AND a return ticket at each step of the way, from my hometown to the cities where I had layovers. They almost didn't let me board the plane to the US when they thought my return ticket would overstay my 90 days visa (it didn't) so yeah... I am pretty sure you won't even make it to Sweden without the visa and return ticket, because you check in for the final destination, so they'll automatically ask you for the visa and else.

I personally would directly buy a ticket to a safe country because you being deported could play BIG time against you during your Asylum case and would make it extremely hard for you to get out of your country again.

It's up to you what you do but for me trying to go to the US with that single ticket and no-visa after everything we told you is utter craziness and will be basically like shooting yourself in the foot. It, in my opinion will make you waste your time, lose money AND may play against you in the near future. ( If Macedonian authorities gets suspicious about why you thought it was a good idea to travel to the US on a one-way ticket and without a Visa, which they probably will because it's easy to figure out you are probably trying to flee the country, it may rise suspicions about the motives behind it and they may start asking questions. What will you do if that happens ? ) Airports are highly secured and staff easily suspicious of the most random things, with everything that's happening right now there is literally no way they would let anyone without the proper paperwork near a plane.

Personally I would save yourself some trouble and go directly to Belgium. You could still get to the US later on once you've got the proper paperwork to do so, but in the meantime I think it's much more preferable to favour a European country. Up to you though.

#69 Lin1, Oct 27, 2015
  10. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I got some good news thank to my friends.in 2 weeks I am going to Belgium!!!!!

Thats not all,they contacted the US Unhcr and Embassy and they told them that no matter where UNHCR is,all applicants are inspected by USRAP,which means a referral from US will be sent in Belgium for me and depending on how I prove my case,I can get my asylum accepted or denied.If it gets accepted I get a flight ticket to USA and I get loans from the goverment to help me start the new life in my new country,and as they said,my asylum case or anything related to it will not be discussed with my home country.

So yeah guys I am hyped!!!!!!!!!!! 2 MORE WEEKS TILL BELGIUM!!!!! YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!

I cannot wait to start fighting for my asylum case and thanks to all the people that have helped so far!

I will keep updating you on the status once I arrive there and how things settle in with me,but omg I am really hoping for the best!!!!

Thank you guys a lot for all the help that you have given me and the support,I really appriciate it and I hope someday I will be able to give all the hope and the support to the same hurt individual that might share(even though I dont want him/her to) same pain.

#70 hristijantod, Oct 27, 2015
  11. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That's awesome, congratulations and keep us updated !!! (!)

#71 Lin1, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Congratulations! I was so happy to read that you've got it figured out!! Best of luck and keep us updated!:slight_smile:

13. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am curious to know what you are up to now OP ? :slight_smile: