1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flight question,I really need some help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by hristijantod, Oct 19, 2015.

1. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I contacted the American embassy yestrday in my country and ofcourse due to fear of prosecution I said that my friend life is in danger.

The American girl on the other side asked me if he is American,in which I replied no and thats why he is in danger and to that she said We are American embassy that only helps American people that are in danger :/ and according to refugees.org either unhcr or American embassy would of done the trick,but I guess that doesnt apply in my country ...

#21 hristijantod, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. AKTodd

Did you explain the situation to them? Simply saying that someone's life is in danger in some unspecified fashion doesn't tell them anything and isn't going to help. You need to try explicitly saying you want to talk about seeking asylum and why. That's going to be the case with any embassy to you talk to. And if the American one doesn't work, try another, perhaps Canada or some of the European countries.

Todd

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry but you will need a visa to live AND a return flight ticket.

The airport staff has ALWAYS checked my visa and other documentation before even checking in my suitcases, they won't let anyone without a visa boarding a plane and especially if you tell them your are trying to seek asylium out there. I am sorry.

What surprises me is that you chose THE US, out of all places, for rescue. Americans aren't the most opened-minded and welcoming to gay people and refugees so it definitely wouldn't have been my first choice ? Why not another country of europe, the flight is less expensive and you would probably have more opportunity to remain longer (even though right now is a delicate time with the refugee crisis and all).

I am sorry I don't have much solution but without and a return ticket you really won't go farther than the airport :slight_smile:

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Like AKTodd said, you should call the American embassy and explain your situation in detail. Also try the English embassy. Don't lose hope.

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2015 at 09:28 AM ----------

I've been researching organizations. I found this one:
    http://www.oraminternational.org/en/

Specifically this page on the site may help you:
    http://www.oraminternational.org/en/programs/371-fleeing-persecution-q-and-a

It said this on the site:

Tens of countries grant asylum to those who are already within their borders. These are called “asylum countries.” In other countries, which do not have domestic asylum systems, you may be able to stay temporarily in the hope of resettling elsewhere. These are called “transit countries.”

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

Here's a website that gives information about seeking asylum in sweden:
    Seek Asylum in Sweden - Are you eligible?

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

And about what the above poster said about the US: While there are some people who aren't accepting but it's definitely better than your situation and worth it if you can make it.

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2015 at 12:02 PM ----------

Here, they have a help and advice for refugees link so you can contact people at ORAM:
    http://www.oraminternational.org/en/contact-us

6. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The reason why I choose USA is because the only friends I have are USA friends,the people that are trying to bring me over there told me that they love me just the way I am and for who I am.You cannot imagine how much it melted my heart to hear those 3 words which I have never heard in my life which are "we love you",I was crying when I heard those 3 words and I would give anything to be with them if only for a brief moment.Having a pathetic life over here and none asking you how you are,strangers/friends/brothers from another side of the world are trying to get me there.I can have everything in USA,a happy life,friends and family that care for me and most of all I wont have to worry about a single thing,because I know that they will be with me and that thought alone is what keeps me going.

Thank you for your kind words and the links that you provided me,I will try again and I will check the links you have given me,thank you so much.

I have checked with oram 3 months ago and they told me that I have to be physically in the country of their reach to help me,which is a problem for me :/ without a single dime I cannot go anywhere,that is why I am so powerless.Its not because I only want to be in the USA,I mean I do,but if I can get a chance of freedom in another country that I am willing to take the leap of faith as in the end I do hope that my story will have a happy end,but unfortunatelly as of now I cannot go anywhere else rather then my confined country.

And I do have a status from my friends,they are contacting some medias like CNN,Dateline NBC and those kind of news to try and get their attention so they can help me.I will try with the US Embassy over here again tommorow(as I am too late to call them today,calling hours are over) and explain the situation more.

Thank you all so much for the support,I will keep trying,I really want to live and eventually if its possible be in the place that I wanted to originally be.

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fair enough OP, well I really hope you make it, it breaks my heart to hear stories where LGBT people (or anyone really) have to go through the fear of being killed for being himself and being born in the wrong country. I really hope you make it. (*hug*)

If unfortunately you can't make it to the US consider Europe, I would gladly help you if needs to ( I can't necessarily help financially but I have got plenty of friends and family around Europe and the world that are totally gay friendly and would probably be able to host you or direct you towards an association who can. :slight_smile: ) Hope you make it out of Macedonia, good luck and keep us updated ! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2015 at 05:07 AM ----------

Bubbles, I wasn't shaming America and it's absolutely true that America is by far much better than his current home. I was just really surprised that he would pick somewhere so far and not necessarily that opened to refugees when he lives very close to many countries that are gay friendly and much more accessible financially and also probably asylium-wise, that's all. :slight_smile:

#27 Lin1, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldnt mind going into Europe,but as of right now for me that is impossible,that is why the only route I can keep going is the USA because of the ticket and I cannot fly there :/

Thank you for your support,I really do hope some opportunity for me comes up to go anywhere atleast that is safe,but right now due to financial problems I cant go anywhere and I dont know when I will be able to,as I said ever since I left highschool I have been trying to get a job in here and on foreing countries,but I didnt have any luck in both foreign and because our goverment is corrupt I cant get a job here even though I am trying :/

9. hi, from my v. limited knowledge i thought it would be a lot easier to claim asylum in a country next to your own? (not sure what your next door country even is.... but i assume its not the us) and if that country says no you go next door to that country (i think). its cheaper to get there and then you would be safe all be it with your friends still in the us.

if you are set on the u.s though you will definitely need to get a visa if you cant travel under the vwp. (you would need a visa anyway even if you could travel under vwp becuae your trip would be for 90 days+... im assuming. estas are only for 90 days or less). worst comes to the worst, if you eventually do end up going and dont get let in just put you on a plane staright back where you came from an only charged $4 for it. i would ring the embassy again, give a false name if they ask for it and then explain your situation and why you gave a false name if they start trying to take details which im not sure they really would need to anyway if its just for an enquiry. although it isnt easy to do that, it would more than likely be the most helpful.

can you also not send off for a newer passport with the chip in it? i think ive read that somewhere when applying for my own passport but maybe that doesnt apply to your own country so im not sure. you could maybe get money for your trip/sorting out what you need for it by doing odd jobs for neighbours like cutting their lawn or painting there garden fence or something like that.

10. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your reply,I will try using the fake name tactic and call the embassy again and our neighboring country is Greece.

As for the neighboors and the odd jobs,we dont have that custom in here,the only job that is done to the neighboor is helping them load the trees and that alone can only get you around 20 euros and in my country they have a thing where they search for black people because they are that racist and because the majority of black people around here are really poor that they would be willing to get the job done for 10$.The situation in my country is really worse,I have no idea what to do,I have tried calling many organisations,tried applying for job already for 2-3 years with no luck.

And about the passport with the chip,I know that we dont have that here as we are not actually in the EU Union(surprise surprise ....) so our options are very limited.There was a news broadcast a couple of days ago that 600 000(thats not in total,thats this year statistic) Macedonians have fled the country due to the poverty,lucky for them they either got jobs and worked or they got pulled through connections by their cousins and what not outisde of Macedonia.

Latest Update: My friends from USA will also try to contact their UNHCR and USA Embassy and explain my situation,they just told me that,god I am so lucky to have them in my life,I really hope that something comes out of this,because I really dont want to cause them grief and kill myself :frowning2:

#30 hristijantod, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  11. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please don't kill yourself, you are at a dark place right now but bad things don't last forever. I really hope your US friends manage to work out something for you !

12. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

We're rooting for you! It's great that your US friends are helping you out and they seem very determined to help you because they want you to be safe and have a better life, I hope they'll work something out.

13. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the support guys,I am trying and I will keep trying,because they are everything to me and imagining that I can see their faces real life it just makes me want to fight even more.I am not going to give up yet,I will fight untill my last breaking point.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I am pretty sure that Macedonian citizens will need a visa to enter the United States, even if it is just a travel visa - unless they have changed the rules. As you are not coming to the United States as a refugee or asylum seeker, you might find yourself in a different situation than someone coming as a refugee to the United States. In other words, in order to board the plane to the United States, you need to have a valid visa in your passport, otherwise you might be stuck at the border. That said, if you say your want to claim asylum in the United States when you arrive, you might need to stay in a 'safe' country first, before you can even get to the United States.

As I have explained this to you before, and I don't want to scare you but claiming refugee status is not a process that is easily done, and there are absolutely no guarantees. The United States could potentially determine that you are coming from a 'safe' country, and send you back.

Keep in mind that in the end it does not matter what someone at an Embassy, at an organisation, or hot-line has told you. What matters is the decision of a judge or immigration official who is reviewing asylum applications. Everything will depend on them as to how they evaluate your application.

Once you claim asylum, you might also need someone who sponsors you, meaning someone who can provide for your well being and provide for you financial needs for a certain amount of time. Have you looked into the United States' rules and regulations around that, and what it's requirements are? You might not be able to start working straight away. Who is going to support you?

15. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your fast reply and yes I have read refugees.org about that and my friends said that they will be up to support me through those bad days when it comes to that,they are 100% with me,but the problem I have is that I cannot get to that point.

Although yestrday while reading the website I booked tickets from I have found that while the ticket of the airplane is non refundable I might be able to atleast change the flights Mirko if I contact their staff,if this is the case can someone give me information on which country would be more accepting toward LGBT person and where I can safely claim asylum?

Also I would like to know if I would need a return ticket for it,because if it costs extra I dont know how to ask my friends about it :/

Thank you all for your support and replies so far people!

#35 hristijantod, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  16. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spain is a 100% gay friendly and they even gave asylium to a gay man who escaped his country because his life was at risk due to his homosexuality last year, so you may want to look into Spain. I am not going to lie and say that the economic of the country here is brilliant but probably still better than Macedonia so I would look into that.

17. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for that,I will be looking at Spain also.

But what cought my eye is the airline I am purchasing from I managed to find a booking where no visa will be required even if I were to transit to that country as my transiting country is included in our country no visa requirement zone.

The country I am speaking about is Denmark,could anyone tell me if going there is a good idea? Basically my new ticket would be Macedonia -> Italy(no visa needed only our passport) -> Denmark(no visa needed only our passport)

Also from what I have seen,I can also depart to Netherlands,due to the original flight ticket being 500$+(in which case a return ticket can also be bought).

This is the website I have been looking at which destinations I can board to safely: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Macedonian_citizens

The website on which I have been checking if I have the required documents: IATA - Personalised Passport, Visa & Health travel documentation advice

So now if this goes as I think it will go,that is the airline that my friends purchased the ticket from approve of the change,I would need suggestions/ideas and opinnions on where I can go or what would be my best chances and if its not much to ask for advices and tips?

As so far what I have planned in my head,if everything goes according to plan,the country that I will be arriving I have plans to contact the UNHCR immidiately and register myself as a refugee.This is why I need more advice or help on this topic if anyone happens to know more information than me or knows somone that has gone through the process?

Thank you all so much!

#37 hristijantod, Oct 23, 2015
  18. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Any suggestions? Please someone with knowledge about this issue,can you give me some tips or advice?

My friends are ready to change my flight tommorow or today.

#38 hristijantod, Oct 23, 2015
  19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I answer the other questions that you have about Denmark, I wonder if you could tell me with which airline(s) would you be flying on the ticket that your friends bought?

20. hristijantod

hristijantod Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would be flying with skypicker,also I am thinking of Belgium aswell.

So the 3 countries that are in my mind right now are: Denmark,Netherlands and Belgium.