1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fissure on ipod nano's box :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by thexboxguy, Apr 25, 2019.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi guys, good night. Last month I finally bought a brand new 16GB Gold ipod nano (7th generation) and since then, it's been kept in its box and I haven't unboxed it yet due to a very busy schedule at work. But I'm very happy to have bought it.

I plan to unbox it as soon as I have time. Actually, I keep it in a backpack in my room so that nobody at home takes it, as my sister tends to take everyone's stuff without their persmission and my mother won't tell us because she watches her back and/or covers her. However, the day before yesterday I went to my room to take my ipod out of my bag and took a look at it, then I noticed a couple of very small but kind of noticeable fissures in the left side of its box, which weren't there before.

On the one hand, I personally think it was more than likely a drop because I'd swear the box was like new a few days prior to this. On the other hand, since I know my family very well, I don't want to interrogate them because I'm sure it's going to be a waste of time. In fact, my sister will likely tell me she didn't take it and my mother will surely tell me a white lie, too. My brother said nobody took it when I asked him but I don't know if believe him or not.

In the image below you can see those fissures marked with two red arrows.

https://oi1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/yotorrent/Ipod nano fissures_zps2kxnn0hc.png

So what do you think happened to it?

What's your guess?

Do you think someone at home accidentally might have dropped it to the floor?

My sister or my mom may have wanted to take a look at it out of curiosity and maybe they accidentally dropped it. That's a guess of mine but I may be wrong, I'm quite confused and don't know what to think.

In case it was a drop/hit: What kind of effect and or/impact can it have on its performance in a furture?

I don't really want anything to happen to it due to the fact that it's been discontinued by Apple and if something happens to it or if it fails, it'll be practically impossible to get a new one, because the ones at websites like Amazon or eBay are used ones, althought it may say they're brand new.

As I said earlier, I haven't unboxed/opened it but as soon as I can I will. Thanks in advance and have a good day. I'm really sorry for any grammatical mistake, please feel free to correct me. English isn't my native language, though.

#1 thexboxguy, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to say what happened, but my impresssion is that they are fairky durable, so my guess is it will likely not affect function.

But to me, there's a much bigger issue: Nobody should be rooting through your room or your stuff, whether your mother lies and covers for them or not. This is 100% not OK, and an enormous boundary violation. I don't know if it's a fight worth having, but if this happened in my house, there'd be a come-to-Jesus discussion and it would be made very clear that this never, ever happens again, in any way. And if your mother is covering for your sister who continues to do this, that's a separate issue that is also not OK.

3. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks Chip, you are absolutely right in saying it's an enormous boundary violation. This isn't the first time things like this happen. I'd had my mom root through my stuff many times in the past and to be honest I've set boundaries, had arguments and I've also had fights with her many times that I don't know what else to do. She seems not to understand and or/learn the lesson. I've made it clear before that's not OK for her to do that.

I'm considering not opening it until I finally live by myself. Just imagine if this happens now that I haven't opened/unboxed it, I can't even imagine when I decide to open it. I think I'll have to hide all my stuff from now on.

What do you think?

What would you advise me to do in a situation like this?

4. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    To tell you the truth, she's codependent but in denial. As far as codependents go, they hate it when people set boundaries. She respects my boundaries more than before but not completely yet.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One option is to put a locking doorknob on your room (assuming you have your own room.) They'll come up with every possible excuse why they should have a key, or it shouldn't be locked, or whatever, but ultimately it should be your choice. If that isn't an option, then perhaps purchasing a locking footlocker or even one of those plastic storage bins that you can put padlocks on would send a powerful message... and it would be a much bigger boundary violation to break into a locked room or container than to wander in or root through stuff, even though neither is acceptable.

As far as codependents and boundaries... you're absolutely correct, and the challenge is to simply hold firm when they push the boundaries, no matter what anger/grief/guilt/withholding of _______ they try to do. Once you make it clear that the boundaries aren't permeable, people generally adapt.

6. Chaosbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Xbox,

It sucks that you don't have the right to privacy and that you can't trust people to respect your things. I had the same problem growing up with my younger siblings (it didn't resolve itself till I moved out). What I did to try and "fix" the problem was I bought a lock box/safe and put stuff I didn't want touched in there so I knew people couldn't get to it. I know it's not the best solution but it kept people from messing with my stuff.

I do have one question, where did you buy it from? I've been looking for an Ipod because the one I bought my wife died and she's using mine instead. I would like to get her another one and I'm hesitant to buy one on Ebay and Amazon is just way too expensive imo.