1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Binder Owner...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by StaticDragon, Oct 22, 2016.

1. StaticDragon

I just got my new (and first) chest binder in the mail- a grey GC2B half-binder. I was wondering if there's anything I need to know about binding or taking care of my binder in any way, since I totally have NO frickin' clue what I'm doing. How often should I wash it? Do I even wash it??? How long should it last for? How to even wear it? IDK man, IDK. All I know is how to put it on. I need to know how to use it.

THX!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hand wash it and leave it out to dry. If you have one, do it once a week. There are some youtube tutorials on how to put them on. With good quality and care, they can last up to a year.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How often should I wash it?

- Some people wash theirs whenever they do laundry, but since I don't bind every day, I'll wash mine every other time or so I do my laundry.

Do I even wash it???

- To keep it from smelling funky and getting gross, it's a good idea that you do. Your binder should come with a care guide, but if not, you can reach out to them to ask what their preferred method is. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with hand washing it. You could also try putting it in your washer on the hand wash setting, and then hang it up to dry.

How long should it last for?

- If taken care of, a good binder should hold up for over a year.

How to even wear it?

- Treat it like a tank top or a shirt :slight_smile:

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, only wear it for up to 8 hours per day and take it off before hand if it begins to hurt.

5. SystemGlitch

8 hours is the recommended time for a binder (12 hours or higher is when things start to get extremely dangerous), but if possible you should start off wearing it for shorter lengths of time while you get used to it. 3-5 hours is a good starting point, then you can increase the length of time a little every few days and probably get up to 8-10 hours within 2-4 weeks. If you're planning to use it daily, it's a good idea to have a day where you don't wear your binder at least once a week so that you give your chest and ribs a break from the compression. I'd recommend either Saturday or Sunday. Definitely don't sleep in it. Try to avoid exercising at all in it too - including sports. You need to breathe significantly more heavily, and when your chest is restricted, that makes it harder for you to take a deep breath and could cause you to black out. So best to go with sports bras (or dance shirts - they're surprisingly good at compression and designed for strenuous activity).

If you start to feel a strong ache or shooting pains in your chest/ribs/back or get very short of breath, you should immediately take the binder off and not put it back on until the pain goes away/you're breathing normally again. If you get very bad pains that don't go away even after taking off the binder for several hours, or you start to get bruising and such, you should see a doctor. Keep in mind that binders do cause a slight level of discomfort but it shouldn't severely hamper you in any way. Listen to your body and you shouldn't have any problems.

Binding is very safe as long as it's done sensibly. :slight_smile: Enjoy your binder!

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely wash it. I wash my black one after I've worn it five times and my white one after I've worn it three times (I worry about it getting discolored). It's a garment that you wear directly against your skin, so it gets sweaty and gross and needs to be washed fairly often. Ideally, you would hand wash it, but some people pop it in the washing machine (cold, though). It just won't last as long. Definitely don't put it in the drier; it needs to air dry.

Hunter is completely right about all the binding safety rules. I'm gonna repeat a particularly important one: do not sleep in it. Never.

Congrats on getting a binder!

7. hollabackboy

Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I haven't seen explained so far is how to take it off, which was a problem for me- I ended up with it stuck partway over my head with my arms straight up in the air trying to figure out how to get it off.

Basically, roll it up from the bottom as far as you can under your arms. Then reach behind your back, grab the bottom, and pull it over your head, letting it turn inside out as it comes off. Try not to let it stretch too much as you do that.

Then, when you put it back on, all you have to do is sort of position it over your shoulders upside-down, then just sort of flip it down over your shoulders to put it on- I find that easier than trying to put it on when it's right-side-out.