1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First post

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by SRO, Mar 15, 2018.

1. SRO

SRO

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi. You can call me Susan. I don't know if this is the appropriate venue for me to join because of my age but here I am. I'm seventy years old. I've been married for forty years, have three adult children with spouses and significant others, six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. I identify as trans. I live in the closet. I have been diagnosed with major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and gender identity disorder. I'm retired but in my working life I worked at a state hospital before they closed them all, then I transferred to a different psychiatric hospital when mine closed. Old-style state hospitals took in any and all patients no matter the diagnosis. I worked with any and all disabilities who came through the door. I was licensed as a teacher and taught just about everything from regular academics to toilet training to behavioral control; anything that was needed as it was needed. Sometimes I changed adult diapers and provided primary care. Other times I ducked chairs being thrown at me. Once it was a bookcase. I don't know how many times my nose was broken but my jaw was broken only once. At my second hospital I often worked in a counselor role under the supervision of the clinical director.

I've been depressed all my life but was never diagnosed until my own psychiatric hospitalization when I was in my 40s. I couldn't keep the secrets any longer. I came out to my wife while in the hospital but was too afraid to really address my real issues so it mostly came out as “just” crossdressing. She was initially supportive and even bought me some lingerie but my needs overwhelmed her ability to continue her support. I was referred for evaluation and therapy at a gender program through the medical school of a major university. At that time, thirty-plus years ago, doctors and psychologists controlled everything. Still terrified at actually addressing this, I minimized my responses in the evaluations. I was given a score of 6.8 on the Harry Benjamin Scale and was sent home. Not good enough, apparently, to be bothered with.

Given the level of my depression, I was essentially non-functional but managed to go back to work. Nothing changed and over time I went through a number of therapists. My fear of committing myself to being transgender prevented any real therapy. I eventually returned to the university for therapy, by this time a well-established and well-known transgender program. Things had changed. After several years of group and individual therapy, I developed a comfortable female identity, carried credit cards in my name, and blended into the world exactly as who I was, a quiet, middle-aged, woman. On the advice of a therapist, I came out to a friend, at work, a psychologist. He betrayed my trust and outed me to co-workers. As luck would have it, those other co-workers were all therapists and they were actually supportive. I never shared personal information with my patients; I was very careful with boundaries but I was able to be more out at work than I was at home. The clinical director guided my discussions with management at the hospital about transitioning at work. She also protected me from myself a lot of the time.

I took the name Susan in honor of my lesbian cousin who was brave enough to live openly as a gay woman over fifty years ago. When I came out to her and her life-partner, they both recoiled in horror, told me to not transition, and to think of what it would do to the family. My confidence was shattered. At the same time my wife and I were attempting couples counseling. My wife took the position many of our wives take in this situation. She said no. She said that every time we had gone together to see a therapist she became the bad person, the one who would not accept my “issues” and she refused to be the bad person any longer. I don't blame her.

I'm seeing a new therapist. A very nice person, has a PhD, is licensed, certified, and credentialed but she's almost young enough to be my granddaughter. What can she really know? The obvious decision would have been for us to go our separate ways and build our lives from there. Even though the gender committee at the university had approved hormones and SRS, I couldn't make the break with my wife. We never watched Transparent. We acknowledge the horrible abuses Trump is re-instituting against the LBGTI community but we don't talk about it. I try not to look at the lovely clothes and shoes in department stores when we go shopping even though I really do. I try to not look at models on tv and in magazines or actresses in movies but I always do. I compare myself to them and I want to be them. I hate myself. I can't look in the mirror. I don't dress up. I haven't been Susan since I retired twelve years ago. I have constant chest pains, don't sleep, and I grind my teeth. I think about suicide constantly. I asked my family doctor for a prescription for low-dose estrogen to try and relieve some of my anxiety. He manages my psych meds but said he wasn't comfortable prescribing hormones. He said he'd refer me to an endocrinologist but I knew I couldn't really do that without my wife knowing so I said no. At this point I don't even know if I'm even depressed anymore but I dread getting out of bed each morning. I just feel awful all the time. I feel sick all the time. I hate myself all the time. My wife remains very angry but I love her and I can't leave her. I can't go through a divorce. I can't be who I am. I'm not supported at home. I live a lie and I hate myself. And I'm seventy years old. I don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening.

I'm Susan.

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome Susan!
    You can be you here.
    I'm guessing you will find a lot of support reading and posting on EC, especially in the "LGBT Later in Life" section and "Gender Identity and Expression" forum.
    Your life story gives me a sense that, despite all the pain (and the era you've lived in) you've shown bravery at so many points in time.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Susan... Welcome to empty closets. I can understand a little of what you are feeling...I came out here on empty closets three years ago at the age of 64. I had felt so completely trapped, not being able to be who I really was and not being able to go on with the false life I had been living for so very many years. The night I came out I was ready to commit suicide myself, but folks here on empty closets welcomed me, helped me and saved me. For the first time in my life I had been honest about who I was and I had been accepted. I want you to know that those of us here on EC accept you...just as you are. I thought that there was no possible solution for me and yet here I am three years later and I am the happiest I have been since I was about 17 years old. It can happen...it's different for everyone...but it can happen. I know that you feel right now that there is no possible fix for your life, and I can't honestly suggest one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Stay with us and share with us. We will do everything we can...we will listen, make suggestions, give you a shoulder when you need one....we will be here for you...let us do that for you. I have a very special place in my heart for folks who are Trans. For you to have suffered with this gender dysphoria for so long is horrible. I know that it will take time to work though this, but even at 70 you do have time. I'm 67 now and I don't plan on being done at 70! As Decent One said posting and asking for help on the "Gender and Identity Expression" forum here on EC would be a good idea. There are many people on there who know how it feels to be Trans. I am sure that they will pitch in to help you!!
    ......David :gay_pride_flag:

4. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome! You can be yourself here!
    Dean

5. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi, Susan, and welcome to EC. I'm glad you chose to share your story with us. I don't have enough life experience to offer you advice. I'm not married, I don't have kids, and I'm just starting my trans journey. But I wanted you to know that I found your story really inspiring. As someone who is nervous to be her authentic self in today's world, I can't imagine the struggles you've faced in your journey to become Susan. And even though you're not living as her now, you still are her. You always have been her. And you can still have a lot of life left to live as her. You're a truly brave person. I encourage you to check out the sections of this forum that other's have suggested, there are people here who are in or who have been in similar situations. I wish I had more help to offer. Just know that you'll always be welcome here.

6. SRO

SRO

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, again;

Thanks for your notes and your support. I don't often have the privacy to get here and write but do today. Nice to be out, at least here. I am feeling old and will look at the places you've recommended. Thank you, thank you. And now that I'm here, I don't know what to say. I answered someone else's post a bit ago, about being a writer. I think of myself as a writer and have been lucky enough to get some publications under my belt. I rented a post office box before I came out to anyone and subscribed to a trans magazine called Our Sorority. They're out of business now. It was so long ago that, when I submitted some pieces to them, I copied them to one of those old five inch floppy discs and mailed it to them with no return address or identifying information. I used a phony name. I was really hiding. Months later I was reading my new issue and found my stories and poems in them. I was excited, my first publications anywhere! Last year I saw a call for submissions to another LBGTI-themed publication and sent in two poems. After a very long time, long enough that I don't even know the name of the publication, I received a note from the publisher accepting one poem and rejecting the other. I don't know when it'll come out but it was the first poem I've shared publicly as Susan. Is there a place here to share such stuff? I don't want to force myself on anyone but am happy to share. Ok, enough. Thanks for your notes.

Susan

7. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yay Susan! I'm so sorry that you're in pain, but right below the pain I see a beautiful person. Congratulations on getting your writings published -- that is very cool! You've probably already figured out that yes, this is a GREAT venue for you to join. People here are really supportive and are going to give you a lot of encouragement. And you clearly have a lot to offer -- please keep posting, keep reading, and keep contributing.
    My circumstances are different, and the same. I'm in my late 50's committed to my family (still have kids at home) and I feel trapped. Opening up here on Empty Closets really helps.
    I don't remember a poetry section, but I hope you'll start a thread in the "LBGT Late in Life" area, because I think a lot of us would like to see you're poetry -- I would!
    HUGS!
    =Sevn